11.(CH) invisible friend

Start from the beginning

Hermione, he already knew, was an outstanding student and Cedric was confident that they would have topics of conversation to discuss. Ron was a different story. Knowing that he didn't like him made Cedric feel a little nervous, but it had the opposite effect of discouragement.

He did remember Harry telling him about their plans to have fun and he did not wish to be an impediment. Going to the pub for some butterbeers was always a good suggestion to make. One everyone would like equally, and even if he had seen them there before, no one could get enough of their most requested beverage.

Ten minutes had passed.

Cedric put a bean in his mouth without checking its colour.

It didn't taste bad at all.

Fifteen.

Those plans seemed to go up in smoke when there was a noise Cedric didn't know where it came from. Another rumble and this time it sounded like his name in a whisper. "Cedric. It's me, Harry."

"Where are you?" Cedric asked, looking in all directions. The forest at his back led him to wonder if Harry could be there, hiding. But why? "I can't see you."

"Yeah, about that..." He heard Harry closer. "I'm wearing an invisibility cloak. I'm sorry I'm late."

Something in his voice had alerted Cedric more than he had been surprised by his explanation. Being able to read his facial expression would have been nice, for he suspected something was wrong. Very wrong, indeed, since Cedric got no answer when he asked Harry if he was okay.

Taking on another alternative, Cedric asked again where he was.

"Here, sitting next to you."

Cedric twisted to his right side until his knee impacted against Harry.

The touch felt unreal, but there it was, for real. He knew that one of those cloaks made the person invisible, not immaterial. Worry had him thinking about his next move and he imagined the worst. "What happened, Harry? Have you seen Black? Is that it?"

"No, no," he hastened to say. "Nothing happened."

Cedric doubted he was telling the whole truth. Insisting would not get him anywhere, so he decided to start with the basics. "Why are you wearing an invisibility cloak?"

"I... uh, I don't have permission to be here." Not a surprise. He had already begun to sense that Harry wasn't one to follow the rules. "You're not going to rat me out, are you?"

Now it turned out that Cedric was one of those people who wouldn't report it. He wasn't surprised at all, either. The only thing that baffled him was how quickly he came up with reasons not to. Harry wasn't in his house, so he had no real obligation. His best friends must be aware of his presence at the village. Maybe he was safer like this. And not least important: Harry was his friend. Cedric wasn't sure when he'd started calling him that way, but suddenly it was so obvious he did.

He shook his head, unsure of what else to say.

Wherever it was Harry's leg or knee against his, he could not stop noticing it was there. Warm and real. The boy kept his silence and Cedric wanted to break it every second. Something had happened to him, that much was clear. It was best to give him space, no matter how much he'd like to know.

"People will think you're crazy," Harry spoke a few minutes later. "Talking to yourself while sitting on a bench eating sweets."

Cedric chuckled and offered him one, which Harry declined.

"Come on, look, I'll leave it here," he proposed, resting the bag in the middle. He watched as it disappeared for a moment until it reappeared again, with less beans. "I don't care what other people think about me talking to myself. I would like to see you though. It's kind of weird talking to someone you can't see."