9.(CH) promises in jeopardy

Start from the beginning

The green in his eyes shone as bright as he remembered it.

"I am sorry. Oliver gets excited sometimes."

"He was happy," he murmured in response, chuckling so low that in no way did it break the ice he himself had perceived in his throat. Why did he feel this way? "I shouldn't be delaying you. You have a party to go to."

"I wish I could invite you," Harry said in a suggestion he was not expecting.

A comforting warmth spread across Cedric's chest.

"I'd like to, but I don't think I'd be welcomed. You know, opposing teams and all that," he spoke without a hint of annoyance or outrage. Celebrating other houses' victories with them wasn't a usual thing among students. Still, he didn't want Harry to feel disappointed or guilty about throwing a party only with his team. Just the comment and intention were more than enough to impress him in the most touching (and difficult to express) way possible. "Don't worry. Have fun."

"Thanks." He ambled toward the door and turned to say goodbye. "It was really nice seeing you, Cedric. In the hospital again."

They both laughed.

"We should definitely stop meeting like this," he proposed because what kind of injury could Harry have by then? Cedric didn't even want to imagine it. "Are you going on the next trip to Hogsmeade? Maybe we could hang out. Visit one of the shops. They have amazing stuff." Cedric didn't realise he had moved closer until he was facing Harry. "If you don't have plans, which I'd completely understand."

For a moment he thought the answer would be negative.

"Sure," Harry replied, resuming his march. "I'll go. Yes."

With a see you later and a promise for Saturday in two weeks, they parted ways.

XXIV

That night Cedric lay in his bed thinking that his dreams would return. But what woke him up in the middle of the night was a knock on the door. Two soft touches, not loud enough for his roommates to do more than shift on their pillows, but it got Cedric on his feet in complete silence. A bit anxious, because it was not usual for someone to call at those hours, much less for him to meet another of the prefects when he opened it. Kevin, a seventh-year, wore a reserved expression and asked to speak in private.

Sirius Black had been seen inside Hogwarts.

Trying to remain calm, they checked each room and requested each person to stay in their places until morning. Then they went to the Great Hall, where an emergency meeting was taking place. Cedric had never seen all the prefects together in one place, and as he navigated past unfamiliar faces in their nightclothes, he bumped into his best friend, Tam, whom he greeted with a grimace.

"A prefect from each house should stay in their common room," Percy, from Gryffindor, said aloud, the faint glow of his badge on his sweater standing out in the dim lights. "Some of them must be awake and worried. Black was seen by Ron Weasley. The rest of us could go through each place in the castle in teams."

Some nodded.

Ron and Harry shared a room so... That meant Harry had been there too. Concern flared in his head as he began to wonder what had happened and if they were scared.

"Excellent idea." McGonagall walked through the open space towards them. At the other end of the room was Dumbledore, in a sky blue robe, talking to Filch. "But I think you should all return to your common rooms. The castle is currently being inspected by professors. It's dangerous, go back in groups. Ask the entrance not to be opened unless it is by one of you until further notice. We will be informing you of the new security measures, and we hope not only that you follow them but also that you promote their correct application by students."