8.(C) ethics of loyalty

Start from the beginning

When Malcolm saw that he would not succeed, he gave Cedric a list of books he recommended. Not all of them seemed to have something to do with the topic. Malcolm would often try to convince him to read his favourites. Cedric took a look at a few, wondering where his friend got those titles from. Because he did find one that referred to the expression of love in dreams. Another was on urban myths and beliefs, in the Muggle studies section. Perhaps because he had come across a line (from an unreliable source, he had to admit) that said «when you dream of a person it is because they are thinking of you» he could not give up the idea that perhaps Harry did not dare to mention he was dreaming about him too.

With his grey eyes, maybe?

A strange jumble of nerves formed at the thought of it.

XVII

One of all the ideas he considered was that perhaps the dreams had stopped because they had not spoken again. Maybe they would only occur as long as he was near him. He wasn't sure if it made sense, because they had started before they met him. And there were other possible reasons. Maybe he was too tired to dream at all. Or even to remember it. The new responsibilities that his appointment as prefect implied did not lessen an ounce of his pride and determination, but he was exhausted when he returned to his room.

He wasn't sure if he just smiled at Harry whenever he saw him because he didn't want to confirm his theory. This wasn't what he wanted. Even if it was a possibility, Cedric didn't want to stop talking to him.

After all, they weren't terrible dreams.

They did not frighten him.

There was something in them more than the sadness he felt the first time. Something contained and delicate that he couldn't quite capture in a name.

Calm was what those green eyes conveyed to him.

XVIII

The Ravenclaw-Gryffindor match put Cedric in a position he had never been in before. He had Ravenclaw friends on and off the field. The seeker herself, Cho, was one. She had recently recovered from an ankle injury and Cedric shouldn't hesitate to support her.

He did. Of course he did.

It was just that he couldn't stop his attention from drifting to Harry.

He used to watch the players in order to learn from them. He had always liked sports, and even though he had never imagined himself on the team, he wanted to be better. So he should be trying to figure out Harry's strategy instead of thinking about the last time they'd talked in the hospital wing. Neither should he feel ashamed as he watched him fly, his dark red uniform cape and his hair blowing in every possible direction because the wind was brutal up there. Embarrassed because he knew that he had been a coward for not wishing him luck before the match as he had intended to. He couldn't remember a time when he hadn't supported Ravenclaw and any of his friends who heard him would believe he was betraying their ideals.

Because Harry Potter wasn't his friend, was he?

Cedric wanted him to be.

More time than he had expected had passed. Classes had resumed after the school break a few weeks ago. Considering it had been enough and refusing to be a coward, he came to a conclusion: his loyalties were right and he could root for both teams, even if it wasn't something most people would understand.

He could do it -for Harry.

IXX

A bright light spread across the field and, as if it hadn't happened, the match continued. Cedric had seen the exact point it came from. Harry. He couldn't figure out what had happened when he caught the snitch and landed on the ground. The entire Gryffindor team rushed at him and he could see his best friends running out of the stands. Seeing Harry this happy must have been contagious because Cedric couldn't help the little smile on his lips.