Chapter 28: Confrontations

Start from the beginning

After a couple of minutes, she finally spoke, "Why did you push Lo'ak aside when he came to talk to you? What was so important that you asked him to talk later, fully knowing that he wouldn't have to courage to come back and try again?" Ja'lia said, trying her best to keep an even tone.

Jake sighed at her questions, "I didn't mean to push him aside. I was busy. You know that we still have training," He explained, and Ja'lia blinked before bringing her finger up to clear her ears.

Did she hear that shit right? Did Jake seriously ask Lo'ak to talk later because he had to train? Jake couldn't have come up with a better excuse? Neytiri nudged her husband and shot him a glare.

If looks could kill, Jake would be dead and with Ewya right now.

"You ignored Lo'ak because we have training?" She asked, and Jake slowly nodded, causing Ja'lia to scoff, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yes," Jake said.

"Do you want to have a relationship with Lo'ak after he's old enough to move out?" Ja'lia questioned.

"Of course, I want to have a relationship with Lo'ak," Jake exclaimed as if that was the most ridiculous thing he's heard all day.

"Then start acting like it," Ja'lia spit, causing Neytiri to slightly flinch at the harshness of her tone, "Do you know that Lo'ak thinks that you hate him? Do you know how much it hurts him to get yelled at by you? Have you ever held him while he cried himself to sleep? Because all he wants to do is impress you and live up to your ridiculously high standards?" She quickly listed off questions in hopes of getting a response, but Jake remained silent.

It honestly hurt Jake to hear Ja'lia ask those questions because even if they seemed far-fetched to Jake, he knew that what Ja'lia was saying was most likely the truth. Lo'ak did probably feel that Jake hated him, and Jake couldn't blame him for feeling the way he did. He knew he was way too hard on his children, especially Lo'ak.

The man was too afraid of losing his son, or any of his children for that matter. He didn't want anything bad to happen to him, so he thought that if he was hard on him, then he would never have to bury Lo'ak or Neteyam, the way he did his own brother and countless friends.

Jake was pulled from his thoughts when Ja'lia continued to scold him, "Do you know how heartbroken he was that you asked him to talk later?" Ja'lia asked, and Jake shook his head, causing the girl to scoff.

"I don't care what anyone says about Lo'ak. He is one of the most sensitive and caring boys I've met. He tries to be who you want him to be, but it's hard on him. Lo'ak is not Neteyam, and I'm sick and tired of you trying to make him be Neteyam." She said, pausing to see if Jake had anything to say.

When she saw that he didn't, she continued, "I'm so tired of you getting to say whatever you want while he has to sit back and take it. Then after you've had your way with him, I have to pick up the broken pieces. Over and over again, you've treated him like nothing but a nuisance, but he's always come right back because he loves you," Her voice cracked as she grew overwhelmed with her emotions.

"He loves you so much, and I've never once seen you put in much effort with him. Lo'ak worships you, but you don't seem to care. It's always about training and what they've accomplished. Is that how Lo'ak receives your love? Does he have to be the best to receive a single ounce of love or praise from you?" Ja'lia asked.

"No," Jake said.

"No to what?"

"No, he doesn't have to be the best to earn my love," He claimed.

"Well, it sure as hell feels like it. So, if he doesn't have to be the best to receive your love, then what does he have to do?" She questioned before cutting him off to say everything she needed to, "Because the last time I checked, it was your responsibility as his father to give him the utmost care and love. Lo'ak didn't ask to be born. You heard what he said. Sometimes he wished that he wasn't," Ja'lia said, throwing Lo'ak's words in his face.