Chapters 61: Plans

Adan

Just one more taste, I thought to myself. Just one more taste of her. My lips descended upon Brenna's in a quick but passionate kiss. I couldn't wait for the day when she would officially be mine.

She pulled back a moment later and gave me one last sweet kiss, smiling against my lips. "Let's not push it."

"If we must." I let out an exasperated sigh and motioned with my head toward the door. "Let's go."

I took her hand and led her back into my office, shutting off the light and closing the door to Brenna's office behind us. It would be nice to have her working by my side every day, but I wondered how much work I would actually get done. I chuckled at the thought.

In my office, Mason took out a notebook and was already drawing something on it. "It would do well for us to strike right away."

Brenna shook her head. "No, they'll be expecting that."

I nodded. "It would be nice if there was a way we could get him alone."

Brenna nodded, thinking. "There might be a way. But I'll need to speak with Magenta first."

I held the chair for her. After she was seated, I took the one at the head of the table kitty-corner from her. "What do you have in mind?"

A sly smile spread across her face. "Magic."

Mason's head twisted between Brenna and me so quickly it looked as if he were watching a Ping-Pong match. "What are you thinking?"

She let out a long, slow breath. "Well, if we attack head-on, they'll be expecting it. But they won't expect it if we appear in the same room where he is. And if we can get him alone, or with just a few people, we should be able to settle it quickly with minimal casualties."

"And how do you propose we do that?" I tilted my head to the side, seeing the logic in what she was proposing.

"If we travel by magic through the Space-Time Continuum, then we'll only be able to take a few people with us." Brenna let out a deep breath. "But if he's isolated—"

"Then that's all we'll need. Darius won't have many people with him." I rubbed my chin, considering our options. "But we'll have to select a time when he'll be alone or with a minimal amount of people. Is there a way we can pinpoint where he will be?"

Brenna shook her head. "Not to my knowledge. But we can talk to Magenta to see for sure."

"So, if we materialize in the same room that he's in, and if he's in the Main Dining Hall of his Compound—"

"Then we'll be captured right away," Mason finished, shaking his head. "If we do this, we'll have to be selective about when we go. It's too risky—"

"But it's worth taking the risk," I cut him off. "I want to avoid a blood bath at all costs. We've already lost too many men, and we don't need to lose any more."

"Exactly," Brenna replied. "If you agree, I'll speak with Magenta today to find the best way to proceed."

"Do it." I nodded.

"There's something else I was thinking about, too."

I arched an eyebrow. "Which is?"

She nodded toward the front gates. "During the attack, the wolves easily jumped over the front gate and walls. Is there something we can do to raise the height of the walls so they aren't as easily breached?"

I nodded, thinking. "We could make the walls higher—"

"Or we could add an electrical forcefield across the top," Mason added. "Or an electrical fence."

"That would look tacky—"

"But it would be extra protection," he continued.

"Maybe we could make the walls higher," Brenna added. "We'll need to see how high a wolf can jump and then make it higher than that."

"Or add an invisible electrical field across the top once the addition is completed." I bit my lower lip, thinking. "But you're definitely right. Something has to be done. We can't allow what happened the other day to happen again."

Brenna nodded. "I'll speak with Magenta right away."

I nodded. "Mason, let's speak with the construction crew and see what can be done about the castle walls." I bit my lower lip and released it. "Have them submit some proposals. I want to peruse them first. Tell them that whatever they present must be functional but aesthetically pleasing. I don't want the castle to look like some Medieval fortress or a prison with barbed wire strung across the top."

"Agreed," Mason replied. "I'll speak with them today and see what they can do." His eyes met mine as he arched an eyebrow. "What timeframe are we looking at?"

"As soon as possible." I took a deep breath. "We're sitting ducks until then."

"Aye." Mason nodded.

Brenna rose to her feet and gave me a quick kiss. "I'll see you for dinner, then?"

I smiled as I wrapped my arm around her waist. "Sounds good. Come here to my office when you're ready."

"Sounds good." She smiled and then headed toward the door but looked at me over her shoulder once more before she left, sending a thrill through my body.

"She's smart as well as beautiful." Mason smiled, patting my arm. "She's a good choice for a Mate and will make a great Queen."

"My sentiments exactly." My smile faded as I looked down at his notepad. "Now, let's discuss the attack."

We spent the next hour going over scenarios and ways to attack once we were inside their Compound. No matter where we ended up in the Snow Warrior Compound, we would have to be prepared to start fighting right away. We'll have the element of surprise in our favor, and I fully intend to take advantage of it.

"But it's all going to depend upon where we materialize." I sighed, my eyebrows pulling together in concern. "We'll have to play it by ear if we decide to go this route."

Mason nodded, his eyes filled with concern. "Do you really think Brenna's plan will work?"

I thought for a minute and nodded. "Yes, I do. It'll result in the least amount of casualties on both sides. The only risk will be not knowing exactly where we will materialize." I stood and looked out the window when something dawned on me. "Mason, is there any way we could get the schematics for their Compound and maybe his schedule?"

Mason tilted his head to the side. "We'll need a mole inside his Pack to know his schedule. But as for the Compound, I'll check with the city to see if there are architectural plans on file. I doubt Darius had enough time to make any major changes to the building since their arrival."

"Good thinking." I crossed the room to the table. "In the meantime, I want you to meet with the architects to see what can be done about the castle walls. It can't wait."

***

A/N: So, what do you think will happen next? Leave a comment to let me know. :-)