Chapter 3: Past crash

Looking up at the roof, Aiko's eyes widen in shock. "Huh, what are you doing up there, Yumi? It's dangerous! You could fall off. Get down and come inside quickly," he urges, his voice laced with concern.

Yumi, her brows furrowed with worry, responds, "Okay, okay, I'll get off. But why are you in such a hurry?"

"We don't have time," Aiko replies rushed. He guides Yumi inside the balcony door, hastily shutting it behind them. Restlessly, he checks the blinds every few seconds. "I need to keep looking. They might have followed me here, and even worse, Yumi is now in danger too," he thinks to himself.

Fed up with Aiko's paranoia, Yumi's frustration boils over, and she exclaims, "What happened, Aiko? Why aren't you telling me?"

Aiko meets her gaze, "I'm just making sure I wasn't followed," he replies, his voice tinged with worry.

Yumi's eyes narrow, sensing the truth. "Did you go back to that garbage dump?" she accuses, her tone filled with both concern and reproach. Aiko's face contorts into a frown, a silent confirmation of her suspicions.

"You did didn't you" Yumi replied to herself, "I thought i told you not to go back to that place, It's way to dangerous, you even promised me"
"I know, I know..." Aiko repeated, "It's just that i needed one more part for Nas to work and today was the last time I could get it, so I had to go."

She's always had this worry for me, and I've often wondered why. One particular memory keeps replaying in my mind, it's about the first time we met. We were both just twelve years old back then.

I had been kicked out by my uncle for causing a mess in the apartment trying to make fix something. After wandering the back streets of Deephaven late at night, I stumbled upon a car crash right before my eyes. No body comes all the way here, and especially not a car that expensive. Inside all the chaos, I heard the creams of a girl. Without hesitation, I sprinted towards the wreckage, my heart pounding. When opening the door i was met with a girl she had beautiful blond hair, fair skin, and the most mesmerizing blue eyes.

I gasped, and I took a moment to gather myself, then quickly reached inside the car to free her, while helping her out the car I glanced a look inside. She had a bot, who seemed unable to help her. Apparently his systems had malfunctioned, causing the car's navigation to go haywire and that's how they ended up all the way here. Carefully, I helped her out of the vehicle and guided her to sit by the side of the road. She was really fortunate that someone happened to be nearby. These streets are dangerous, especially at night. I looked at her after she sat down and I asked her, "Are you okay?"

Her voice trembled as she replied, "I think so." The fear in her eyes was evident.
To calm her down i gently introduced myself "My name is Aiko? What is your name?".
"I'm Yumi" she replied in a soft whisper.

It was a late, dark night on that desolate street. I tried to reassure her, assuring her that everything would be alright. For some reason, she decided to place her trust in me, allowing me to help her find her way back home.
She told me she lived in Central Amona, I walked her to the border. It turns out her family holds quite the status in the city. They are one of the founding families, you know, the ones who stumbled upon that miraculous meteorite before anyone else did. Ever since that discovery, their responsibility has been to safeguard and oversee it. This duty has been passed down through generations, making these families a significant force in the city. These families are a big deal. They practically own the place, if you ask me.

As we arrived at the border of Deephaven and Central Amona, Yumi made a request that caught me off guard. "Can I see you again?" she asked, her eyes filled with a mix of hope and uncertainty. My response came hastily, the words tumbling out of my mouth in a jumble of excitement and nerves. "Uh, yes...yes, of course! I'll always be around here. It's easy to find me, just ask around. But, you know, in broad daylight," I replied, trying to convey my eagerness.

As we approached the border patrol, a sense of unease washed over me. The guards immediately halted us, demanding identification. Yumi calmly presented her ID, but their reaction was far from ordinary. One of the guards hastily activated his transponder, uttering words that were lost in the chaos that ensued. The other guards swiftly formed a protective barrier around Yumi, pushing me away as if I were invisible. It was a stark reminder of the difference between our worlds. I guess that's what you get for being one of them.

They escorted Yumi back to the safety of Central Amona, leaving me alone once again. However, thoughts of her consumed my mind day and night. And then, on a typical morning 2 weeks later, something extraordinary happened. I stepped outside my building, and there she was, standing before me. Yumi had kept her promise and sought me out again.

From that day forward, our bond grew stronger. Yumi visited me quite often, despite her father's disapproval due to the perceived dangers of Deephaven. She defied the odds and made time for our friendship. Over the course of six incredible years, we became inseparable. Yumi became my closest friend, the one person I could truly count on. Though our journey had its challenges, the moments we shared were the most precious and fulfilling of my life.

Back to present:

"So... i came to tell you I got us tickets for the big game tomorrow, and yes i know you don't like to go to the games but you promised me" Yumi said with puppy eyes.
Aiko looks at Yumi with a condesending look and says"I thought I told you a thousand times I don't like the games. They are just a way to keep the rich happy and to make the people forget all the bad that's happening across Amona"
"Also those so called Zero fighters keep slaughtering each other for some money and power, I just don't get it, and btw i don't even have an ID how will i get in Central Amona? have you even thought about that?" Aiko says concerend.

Yumi's eyes sparkled with excitement as she announces why she came so late at night.
"So... I came to tell you I got us tickets for the big game tomorrow. You promised me you'd go, remember?" she pleaded, casting her best puppy eyes to win Aiko over.
Aiko looks at Yumi with a mix of irritation and concern.
"I thought I told you a thousand times, I don't like those games," he replied.
"They're just a way to distract the rich and make people forget all the bad things happening across Amona."
His eyes narrowed as he continued, "And don't even get me started on those so-called Zero fighters. They're out there fighting each other for money and power, and I just can't understand why" Aiko's concern deepens as he points out another hurdle. "By the way, I don't even have an ID. How on am I supposed to get into Central Amona? Have you even thought about that?"

Yumi's excitement wavered, and she sighed, realizing that convincing Aiko to go was going to be harder than she thought. But she wasn't ready to give up just yet. With determination in her eyes, she replied, "I know you don't like the games, but I thought this could be a chance for us to have some fun together. And about the ID are you still worried about that?" Yumi asked, her tone reassuring. "You know my dad is a sponsor of the Zero games, right? I can pretty much get you on any list and past any security I want. So, no biggie, we'll get through."

Aiko hesitated, trying to find the words to express his concerns. "But, Yumi, it's not just about getting in. It's the whole concept of those games," he began to explain.
Yumi cut him off, her determination unwavering. "No buts," she asserted firmly. "I'm gonna see you tomorrow, and I'm picking you up at 7. Make sure your ready!"
Before he could even respond, she added,
"I'm leaving now, Tango is waiting for me downstairs. See you tomorrow, Aiko!" And with that, she swiftly turned on her heels and headed for the door.

"Wait! I haven't even said if I want to-" Aiko tried to protest, but before he could finish his sentence, the door slammed shut.

"I guess I have no choice but to go..." he says with a sigh.