Vol 2 - Pause (3)

Start bij het begin

Kyle nervously ruffles his hair. The disturbing pheromone filling the air makes Ash feel uncomfortable. Still, he endures it.

"Do you know how much Karlyle has struggled because of you?"

Ash looks at Kyle silently. Hearing that the other person struggled makes his stomach ache. His crying face appears in his mind.

"I don't."

"My brother doesn't laugh often. As a family member, I can count the number of times I have seen his smiling face on one hand."

Nick nods in agreement behind his back. He even adds "It's hard to imagine because I've never seen it."

"He cried, too. In front of me and my father..."

"Did Karlyle... cry?"

At the word crying, both Nick and Ash look at Kyle. Nick makes an unbelievable face. Ash bites his lips, eyes become contorted. As if the inside of his body is clogged with concrete, the pit of his stomach throbs.

Kyle is about to speak again with a sharp expression on his face when he sees Ash's expression. He shuts his mouth. Ash is already worried, but when he hears that Karlyle cried, his heart hurts like it's going to rip apart. It feels as if he has left his child alone by the waterside.

The mere thought of the other person crying without Ash by his side makes him feel painful. Did Kyle or Karlyle's father wipe away the tears, hug him, and kiss him on the forehead or cheeks? Karlyle deserves to be treated like that. At least that's how Ash feels.

"He has been through a lot to organize everything, so if your heart is not yet clear, I don't want you to approach my brother again."

After a heavy silence, Kyle says. There is nothing wrong with Kyle's words.

But Ash has no intention of letting Karlyle go like this. If so, he'll live in the same state like the last few weeks for the rest of his life. No, it could be worse than that. The aftereffects keep coming in like waves and slowly submerge him. And then, the water will swallow him and make him unable to breathe.

"As you know, Mr. Frost... Karlyle doesn't talk much. At least that's all I know."

Ash opens his mouth. Kyle's blue eyes stare at Ash silently.

"He doesn't say anything so I don't know. That everything is that hard..."

Ash smiles with an awkward but painful eyes.

"What does he think of me, what is he thinking, I don't know any of that. Just because you are smart doesn't mean you can know everything."

Ash ruffles his hair. His mouth becomes dry.

"So thank you for telling me."

Kyle is Karlyle's family. It's natural to hate someone who upsets your family member. Karlyle's situation in Kyle's words is more important than Kyle's hostility towards him.

"There are a lot of things I haven't told you. It's a little late to realize that now."

Kyle answers with a suspicious look. His voice is full of disbelief.

"I remember it wasn't like this with Nick at that time..."

As the story is about to go back to the uncomfortable past, Nick intervenes by hugging Kyle from behind. Putting arms around the waist and pulling Kyle into his arms, Nick says.

"Originally, everyone has a different way of approaching, Kyle."

"... Is Nick the same?"

"No, I only love you, so I know nothing except your way of approaching."