20: 𝗽𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗮 𝘂 *

Start from the beginning

"I didn't ask you what you had, mama. Now which wrist do you prefer?"

"Ka'Dafii."

"Penelope, we gotta go, baby. Which wrist?" With a huff, she placed her hands on her hips. Her stubborn ways keeping us longer. "C'mon don't do that. You deserve this and more, Babygirl. Just let me."

There was conflict written on her face before I watched her arms fall slowly. That guard came down as Penny sighed in defeat. She held out her left wrist and I removed the box containing the Ballon Bleu De Watch. It wasn't even a fraction of the Rolex on my own wrist, but it was a staple and a very good investment for herself.

"Zay..." Latching it around her arm, I measured the space, making sure it wasn't too tight.

Penelope's eyes followed my movements before taking in the Cartier piece. Her expression showcased awe and appreciation before her arms went around my neck in a tight hug. "Thank you so much. You really, really, really didn't have to do this, Ka'Dafii."

"I wanted to, mama," Rubbing her back tenderly, I tapped her butt before speaking again. "Put ya necklace on and I'll help you with the stoles and ropes before we head out."

"K," She whispered before I felt her kiss my neck. Turning around, Penny moved the curled tresses out of the way so I could clasp the diamond tennis necklace. Still remembering the first time I put it around her neck.

"You must like me in jewelry or some?"

"That's my way of locking ya' fine ass down."

"Boy, hush." Without looking, I knew she was rolling her eyes. The thought made me laugh because the second she was free to turn around, Penny rolled them again. But this time a blushing smile on her face.

"Fine ass."

"Ka'Dafii...please." She said in a playful plea. The both of us knew so familiarly, how fast this could go another route.

So, I refocused — making sure to help with the custom bedazzled cap and tassel. Before holding the gown on my arm. Penelope did a double check on everything before I saw her texting Ms. Lynn that we were leaving.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗵

Screams of appreciation, support, happiness, and pure love cried out from the stands of the Panther
arena as myself and the graduates of Clark Atlanta stood.

Grabbing my phone and graduation program, I immediately removed the cap from my head. But made sure to do it smoothly as we marched out. Constant calling of graduate names rained over us and even when I recognized someone screaming at me — I couldn't figure out which direction it came from. What I did know, it wasn't anyone I was around daily.

Finally, out of the guests' eyesight, I unzipped the black gown. For it to be the middle of December, I was hot and my dress was spaghetti strapped.

"Excuse me...excuse...there you are! Oh my god! We fucking did it, bitch," Khadi shouted, throwing herself around my neck. The tight embrace caught me off guard. Here I was trying to find her and Jessy in the crowd of a thousand graduates. "I love you so much, Penny. Thank you for even believing in me."

"Awww, Khadi Meyers, don't even start with the waterfalls." She laughed at my words, but as we pulled away I could see the emotions on her face. The high of graduation would do that to you.