4.17| defamation and diatribes

Start from the beginning

It might be her natural charm and entrancing beauty that she caught the eye of the two most popular boys at Hogwarts.

"She is very pretty" says Pansy Parkinson, a pretty and vivacious fourth-year student, "but she's a very attention-seeking girl, always wanting to be the talk of the town. Many boys chase after her but they've got to realise that she's nothing but a malicious girl who wants to date whoever that's popular. I wouldn't be surprised if you told me she's dating half the famous boys of Hogwarts.

"How do you think she traps all these boys in her webs that she has spun?"

"Have you seen the way she dresses?" Says Pansy. "Turning so many heads as she walks by, I'm not sure how she hasn't got in any trouble yet! She is a honey tongued devil!"

And so the truth about what lies behind those stormy grey eyes has been revealed! She's a malicious girl who will do anything to be in the spotlight. A honey tongued devil, as dangerous as she is enchanting. Addicted to fame and glory, Alexandria Black is nothing but a lethal girl who lures boys into her trap with her bewitching and beguiling beauty! All the boys of Hogwarts are warned to stay safe from her baits.

And Harry Potter’s well-wishers must hope that, next time, he bestows his heart on a worthier candidate.

“I told you!” Ron hissed at Alex as she stared down at the article a weird sort of a smile plastered on her face— almost as if she found the whole article very amusing and funny even. “I told you not to annoy Rita Skeeter! She’s made you out to be some sort of — of scarlet woman!”

"That's the best she can do?" Alex asked, laughing slowly and throwing the magazine on the chair beside her. "I had more expectations from her"

She looked over at the Slytherins, who were all watching her and Harry closely across the room to see if they had been upset by the article. She flashed them a huge grin before she started unpacking the ingredients they would need for their Wit-Sharpening Potion.

"How could Rita have known?" Hermione asked. "Did Cedric give her some sort of interview?—"

"No, I don't think he did" Alex said, the realisation dawning upon her. "How did she— how did she find out those things he said in private?—"

"Maybe she has an invisibility cloak?" Hermione suggested. 

"What things?" Ron asked, his eyes narrowed. Alex blushed, ignoring him and working on her potion.

"The things in the article—" she said, her cheeks going so red that Harry (who had picked up his pestle and was grinding it on the desk, a good six inches from his bowl, because he was looking at Alex) could almost feel the heat from her cheeks.

“Fascinating though your social life undoubtedly is, Miss Black” said an icy voice right behind them, and the four of them jumped, “I must ask you not to discuss it in my class. Ten points from Gryffindor" Snape had glided over to their desk while they were talking. The whole class was now looking around at them; Malfoy took the opportunity to flash POTTER STINKS across the dungeon at Harry. “Ah— reading magazines under the table as well?” Snape added, snatching up the copy of Witch Weekly. “A further ten points from Gryffindor, oh but of course" Snape’s black eyes glittered as they fell on Rita Skeeter’s article. “Potter and Black have to keep up with their press cuttings"

The dungeon rang with the Slytherins’ laughter, and an unpleasant smile curled Snape’s thin mouth. And much to Alex and Harry's dismay he started reading the article out loud.