Chapter 9: Kimchi Spaghetti

Start from the beginning

"Where have you been?" Jae-jae asked as soon as I took my seat.

"At the restroom." And ate some fish pancakes.

"Restroom huh?" He looked to examine my face. I felt his thumb wiped something at the corner of my lips. "Restroom or canteen?"

I wasn't able to speak when I saw bits of pancakes at his thumb. I am really starting to suspect that Jaehyun is a sort of sherlock.

"God Min! Now I am really 100% sure now." He said. What's the matter with percentages he is talking about!

"I really did go to the restroom." I defended.

"Yeah right." He said as he rolled his eyes. I am not gonna explain myself further because I am sure he will not believe me.

We finally had our lunch break. I am now here at the canteen waiting for Jae-jae. He said he'll just get something at his clinic.

"Where is he? I'm already hungry." I mumbled.

"Sorry for waiting." Jae-jae came as he placed the tray on the table and another came in. "Thank you." He said to the guy who helped him. My eyes widened with the foods at the table. He is teasing me for eating a lot but look at how much he ordered. It's like five people can eat it.

"You are all eating this?"

"Me? Of course we will eating this together, my treat." He said then he placed a sky blue box wrapped in silver ribbon in front of me."Saeng il chukkhahammnida chingu-ya~"

"Wow! Thank you Jae-jae!" I am so happy that at least someone remember my birthday.

This morning, I woke up alone in bed. Suho just left me a note stating that they have an early call time for a photo shoot in Jeju and they might go home late. I frowned expecting that there was at least a birthday greeting at the end of his note. But there was none.

It felt even unusual eating breakfast alone a while ago. I had been used to the guys loud chatter and laughter whenever we eat.

I was planning to cook dinner for them to at least treat them on my birthday but I changed my mind because surely they have eaten before they go home later tonight.

"Don't you like it?"

"No! Of course I do."

"I'm glad you do." He said. "Let's eat, I know you are already starving."

We started digging in and I notice the gift he gave me. I wonder what's inside. "You know you shouldn't have bought me a gift." I said.

"Don't worry, I did not spend much for that. Why don't you open it?"

I took the gift and placed it on my lap as I untangled the silver ribbon. When I open the box, I was surprised to see a glass jar filled with colorful tiny paper cranes. I knew this!

"Still remember that?" He asked and I nodded.

When we were in college, I would always find him making paper cranes during our breaks. I thought it was just a hobby of his not until he told me the story behind it.

He made a promise to himself that he will never stop making paper cranes until the day he find his brother. It was his brother who taught him how to make them. They had been separated from each other when they were kids because his father could not accept him as part of their family. He discovered that he was a product of his mother's affair to another man.

It was then he concluded why all this time his father despised him and why his mother never loved him. It was only his brother who showed him love and care. But then when he was seven years old, he was sent by his stepfather away from their home. With his caregiver, they flew in London and ever since he was not able to go back to Seoul. He was being forbidden by his stepfather and threaten to kill his mother if he does so.