26} Becoming Closer

Start from the beginning

I nod and close my eyes as she wraps it around my arm and starts to pump that thing up. For some reason, I hold my breath too, which somehow helps me take my mind off it.

Before I know it, it was all over and she said the the doctor would come in here soon to check my ankle. I took a seat on the patient's bed and relax a bit.

"Congrats, Jess, you made it!" Louis claps.

I roll my eyes, "Barely. You didn't even help!"

He laughs, "I know."

I kick him in annoyance with my hard, heavy cast.

He grunts, "Okay, I'm sorry! Next time I'll make sure to sit next to you and rub your shoulder... Like when you were six."

I flick him off but immediately put it down from the sound of the door opening. Luckily, the doctor didn't see while he was just looking down on is clipboard.

"Good afternoon, Miss Branson." He says walking in with another helper beside him.

"Hello," I say.

"So, I guess today we're going to be taking off your cast? Before we start, did you find any problems or anything with that ankle?"

I shake my head.

"Okay good." He motions the guy beside him to step up, "We'll be using this tool to take off the cast."

His assistant holds up a small tool that makes my face go white.

It's a fucking chainsaw. Well, it's similar to a chainsaw - its like a chainsaw and a wood cutter mixed into one, but much more smaller. Nevertheless, it scares me to death.

"Don't worry, it won't hurt you." The assistant says and steps up to me.

I back away in fright, a bit embarrassed but it didn't stop me.

"It's okay," the assistant says, "It doesn't hurt, look."

He holds up the blade to his hand but it doesn't cut him or even make a scratch. "The blade only cuts through things like your cast, not your skin."

I nod, signaling that I'm ready. The blade touches my cast and I flinch while closing my eyes. I could feel it touching my skin but it's doesn't hurt, actually. It feel like a thin little phone vibrating on your leg. After a while, I got used to it and relaxed on the patient bed.

Once they saw through it, they carefully take my cast off my leg and its feels so unusual. It's like my foot was being born for the first time.

"Okay, try to carefully stand on it." The doctor says after everything is done.

I nod and slowly get off of the bed - first putting my good foot on the ground and then placing my healed ankle ever so slowly on the ground. I shift my weight so its even on both sides.

"How does it feel?" Louis asks beside me.

"Good, I think... It feels weird."

The doctor laughs, "That's alright, at first the foot will need time on getting used to being used again."

"How long is that gonna take?" I ask.

"Maybe around a couple hours or a day, just don't put too much pressure on it yet."

"Okay," I say calmly, but inside I just wanna jump around with joy now that I have both feet fully functioning.

After the doctor's check everything is fully healed with my ankle and I file out some papers, Louis and I are finally done.