Chapter 3 - The Truth is a Heavy Thing

Start from the beginning

"We've got to go see him." Without any hesitation, both boys stepped over the bench.

"We shall join you soon, I need to find Amit and Poppy to let them know as well."

"If it helps, you'll find Amit in the library at this time of day - and Poppy will most likely be feeding the Kneazles," Ominis informed her as he and Sebastian rushed off.

II

In the Hospital Wing Professor Fig and Nurse Blainey were in a heated argument as the black-haired teen slept peacefully, unaware that he was the centre of discussion.

As the two Slytherin boys rounded the corner to the Hospital Wing, they noticed the adult in the misted of a verbal debate. They quietly edged into the room, not wanting to disturb the two. And curiosity had overtaken any of their rational thinking, they silently listened in.

"There is nothing in that boy's folder that mentions any of that." Nurse Blainey spoke as she threw down a small pile of papers onto the table at the end of the room.

"Yes, I know - I've yet to have time to update anything in Nathan's file." Professor Fig countered as he pleaded with the attending nurse.

"As per protocol I should be sending an owl informing the parents of what has happened under our care - give me one good reason why I should not?" The Nurse's stance was firm, she had hardened her stare so it looked like she was looking through the Professor's soul.

"Please Noreen, when I went to collect Nathan on his fifteenth birthday I had to immediately remove him from that house. That place - his 'home' reeked of powerful Dark Magic. I feared the worse - and upon meeting his family only confirmed those fears. He has lived with me since - I am his legal guardian and so long as I am alive he will be safe." Nurse Blainey relented under Fig's soft words of fierce protectiveness.

"Fine. But update his files while you can - I don't want this to happen again." The Nurse patted the papers still on the table, then moved around the table to go into her office. Professor Fig took that as a sign to sit down and pick up a pen. Sebastian and Ominis emerged from their hiding place, crouched behind a privacy screen, to make it look like they had just entered the Hospital Wing.

"Professor?" Sebastian asked as Ominis took a seat beside their unconscious friend, a pit of guilt was eating away at both of them when they finally set eyes on him. Professor Fig jolted in his seat, not expecting the boys.

"Ah, Master Sallow, Master Gaunt, I should have expected you both to have turned up sooner rather than later."

"We came as soon as we heard," Ominis muttered to the older teacher. Noticing both of the boys' sullen dispositions he decided to try and bring some light on the situation, making them see they have no blame in the situation.

"Do not let guilt consume either of you - neither of you caused this to happen." Sebastian opened his mouth to argue back, Fig wasn't in the Scriptorium with them, he wouldn't know. "No-" Fig interrupted before the brunette could utter a word, "no you didn't," Fig warned "Master Sheppard informed me months ago about this sort of thing happening, blackouts as he called them. But I'll let Master Sheppard tell you more about that if he so chooses."

"What happened?" Sebastian asked as he took the other seat opposite Ominis but still facing their Professor.

"That we are not sure about. Master Weasley and Professor Sharp found him collapsed outside your Common Room and quickly brought him here." Fig glanced at the sleeping teen. His robe had been changed for blue pin-stripped cotton pyjamas, his uniform neatly folded on the bedside table. He had the look a concerned father would have, Sebastian had to fight of that small pang of jealousy when he saw his professor's face. "I'll leave you, boys, to it, when he wakes up please alert Nurse Blainey."