Navigating Winding Paths

Start from the beginning

I raise my head to follow where her finger is pointing. A black Range Rover is what I'm met with and to say I'm surprised is an understatement. It takes me a second to respond as I examine the car. How can she afford that? "Umm sure, ok" I agree hesitantly, "if you don't want to that's ok, I won't be offended or anything. I can wait with you for your driver, I just don't wanna leave you here alone" she expresses.

I might actually melt at basic human decency, pathetic. "Thank you, but it's fine, I really do want to get home. Not that I didn't have a wonderful time I just-" "I know what you mean, it's ok" she smiles understandingly. Normally I'd be pissed someone interrupted me, but I also don't normally ramble so it's fair.

We walk over to her car and she opens the door, taking her jacket so I can get in easier. Once I'm in safely she softly closes the door and jogs around to the driver side. I watch as she gracefully lays her blazer in the backseat. Simultaneously pushing the button to start the car. She turns back around and smiles at me and I'm caught in a trance.

"As much as I love this, I will need your address madam" she jokes and I blush for the millionth time this evening. I recite it for her and she quickly puts it in the satnav. "Are you still cold?" she asks, putting the car in reverse and observing the camera carefully. "No not really" I lie, I'm regretting my decision to wear this dress.

I feel amazing in it mentally, physically I'm freezing my ass off. Without a word she turns up the a/c a bit and flips a little switch on my side. I feel the seat start to heat up and I smile, how did she know? "Any requests?" she asks, holding up her phone as we stop at a red light. "For music" she adds seeing the look of confusion on my face I presume.

"Oh no I uh... mostly listen to classical music, so you can play whatever you like" I answer quietly. "I love classical music! Oh can I show you something? I don't know if you've heard it before but it's so rare that I can show people this stuff" she replies excitedly. A grin makes it way to my face as she reveals more and more things to love about her. 

"Definitely" I utter softly, she smiles and quickly plays something. Putting her phone down as the light changes to green. I read the screen, Danzon No. 2, as she starts talking. "I really like this because it almost has a traditionalistic nature feeling at first. Then it progresses to an almost telenovela like drama music. Then it's sort of tribal drums and- sorry I'm rambling" she chuckles shyly.

The whole time she was speaking I just stared at her in amazement. "No... I love it. Keep going, please" I say without hesitation, surprising myself. She glances at me and smiles widely as she resumes talking softly so I can still hear the music. After it's finished another song comes on shuffle that I recognize.

"Mahler's fifth" I mutter to myself in pleasant surprise, "oh you know it? I love this piece" she says happily. "I mean who doesn't? Love it, I mean. It tells such a story..." I trail as I think about all the times I've listened to it. Each time it seems to tell a different story depending on current events in my life.

"I've always wanted to ask someone what they interpreted as. I think it changes for me but then again there's always a basis. The first impression always lingers" she speaks absently as she turns a corner and I watch her. Seemingly on autopilot she switches off the seat heater. I swear I'm going to marry this girl.

"Certainly. To me I think it's a tragic love story or maybe simply just the journey of life. I suppose that's not quite 'simple' though, is it? I think at times it feels like two people in conflict. They're desperately trying to make it work but it keeps falling apart. However, I have yet to understand the meaning of the last phrase" I vocalize.

"Yes, exactly! I really couldn't have explained it better myself. I think a lot about the last phrase since most of the piece is so intense. Whether it be anger, concealed or otherwise; sadness, joy... it just feels like a breath. Yet it's at the end, and that seems to make no sense. I actually like to see it as the brass and percussion experiencing the motions while the other sections observe from the outside" she affirms.

"So then the odd presence of what I can only assume to be a flute is a surprise. Then it seems like the percussion like... falls through? It sorta feels like a jaw drop since everyone else is silent" she articulates. "I never thought of it like that... now that you say it, it makes a lot of sense. That's a really intelligent outlook, I'll have to listen again with that new perspective" I voice sincerely.

"Happy to help" she giggles and it's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. I tear my eyes away from her for a second to see we're pulling in my driveway. I glance at her reaction and she doesn't seem phased. Maybe I just need to surround myself with more... like-minded people.

"Your home is gorgeous" she compliments, "thank you, I had it custom built" I reply as I unlatch the seatbelt. "Let me walk you up" she says taking off her own seatbelt and hopping out. She opens my door and extends a hand to help me out. Linking our arms again and walking with me to the door. Once we arrive she let's go and I miss her touch already.

"I had a great time tonight, thank you" she conveys with heartfelt emotion. "So did I" I reply honestly, I linger for a moment waiting for her to say something. She slowly gets closer to me and I stand still as my breathing picks up slightly. She kisses my cheek gently and slowly, almost painfully, pulls away.

"Good night, Wilhemina" she waves, "wait" I stop her. She turns around and looks at me with raised eyebrows. "Are we- can we go out again?" I ask nervously, "I was certainly planning on it" she teases making me blush. "Ok" I whisper to myself, I'm not sure if she heard but she nods and heads back to her car.

I unlock the door and turn back to see her car still in the driveway. She beeps twice before backing out and disappearing down the street. She waited for me to get inside... good lord I need to sleep. I go to my room and kick off my heels, not even having the energy to shower. I just strip down and get in the bed, Winona coming to lay beside me.

"Oh, Winona. She's the sweetest person I've ever met. She likes classical music and she's so mindful in everything she does. She makes me feel... well, she makes me feel like a person. You'd love her. I told her about you, of course. She said she loves cats! I think she's perfect" I sigh content and tired. My eyes flutter closed as memories of tonight play in mind.