Chapter 14: New Friends

Start from the beginning

"It's just, I feel something that I shouldn't feel," He said, confusing Neytiri.

What does that even mean? 'I feel something I shouldn't feel'. Neytiri thought to herself.

"What do you mean?" Neytiri questioned.

"I think," Lo'ak paused, looking down at the ground, "I think that I like Ja'lia," He said barely above a whisper.

"Of course, you like Ja'lia," Neytiri said with confidence, and Lo'ak looked at his mother in shock, "She's your best friend,"

Lo'ak deflated a bit, and his shoulders slumped when his mother didn't get what he was saying, "That's not what I meant," The boy grumbled.

"Then what did you mean? I'm not a mind reader, Lo'ak," She said.

"I like Ja'lia. Like as more than a friend." Lo'ak emphasized his words, and Neytiri sat there frozen for a minute before speaking, "That's great, sweetheart. Have you told her?" The mother asked.

"No!" He all but yelled.

"Why not?"

"Because she doesn't feel that same way," Lo'ak murmured.

"How do you know she doesn't feel the same way?" Neytiri questioned.

"Because she doesn't. Look at me, Mom," The boy motioned toward himself. "I'm me, and she's Ja'lia. She's one of the most beautiful people I've ever met. She's kind and caring, and she has the most beautiful smile. I'm always getting into trouble, and I haven't even finished my warrior training yet. Ja'lia deserves someone who could protect her, and it's not me," He sighed, and his mother placed her hands on either side of his face.

"Lo'ak," She softly said, and he glanced up at her, "Would you ever let something happen to Ja'lia?"

"Of course not."

"And has she ever said anything about you getting into trouble?"

"No," He shook his head.

"Did she ever say anything about you not finishing your warrior training?" Neytiri questioned, and the boy once again shook his head. "The bond between you and Ja'lia is as strong, if not stronger, than the bond between your father and I,"

"But that doesn't mean she likes me," Lo'ak quickly added.

"But how would you know if you won't even ask her?" Lo'ak shrugged his shoulders as he looked back down at the floor.

"I don't want to ruin our friendship," He whispered.

"You're already doing that by ignoring her," Neytiri informed. "Have you been paying attention to Ja'lia?" She asked, and Lo'ak remained silent. "She's devastated that you won't hang out with her, talk to her, look at her, or even sleep beside her. In all the times you two had gotten into fights, you never let her go somewhere on her own by herself at night," Neytiri scolded, and Lo'ak felt his ears go down in shame.

"I'm sorry," He apologized. "I thought that if I ignored her the feelings would go away,"

"Is that what you want?" The mother asked, "Do you want your feelings to go away?"

"No,"

"Then I suggest you get your head out of your ass and go apologize to her before it's too late." She said, standing up and pulling her son up to his feet. Lo'ak was at a standstill, so Neytiri went behind her son and pushed him out of the Mauri pod, almost knocking him over.

After Lo'ak had been pushed by his mother, and ran all around the village in search of his best friend, who he had been ignoring. So far, he had no luck finding her, but when he saw Neteyam, Kiri, and Tsireya hanging out, he ran over to them.