But I was too drunk to not have a filter on my mouth. "Since when did this become a competition, Isabella?"

She shifted her focus to me. "I'm sorry?"

"You're upset that Mr. Valentine was happy about our engagement."

She folded her arms across her chest. "I never said that."

"I can hear it in your voice, see it in your body language."

"Matilda, don't say anything you'll regret," Nicholas muttered.

But I couldn't stop. It all just came flowing out. "This is an exciting time for us and you don't want people to be happy? What is wrong with you?"

"You're wrong, I-I never-"

"You're jealous of us! Jealous you two can't have what we have!"

Robbie stepped towards me, hands out in front of him in a defensive gesture. "Tilly, calm down, you're making a scene."

We ignored him, then Isabella stepped forward, standing tall and confident. "Fine, maybe I am jealous. Jealous you two have the perfect relationship, can do as you choose. You're lucky you don't have a father breathing down your neck, telling you how to live your life!" Then her jaw dropped, and she slapped a hand over her mouth.

"I can't believe you just said that," I growled between my teeth. I wanted to smack the spoilt brat across the face, but Nicholas still had a grip on my arm.

"I am so sorry, Nicholas," Isabella said, more softly and calmer than her previous outburst. "That is not what I meant at all. It came out wrong. Please forgive me."

Nicholas dismissed her apology with a wave of his free hand. "It's fine, Isabella. I know you didn't mean what you said."

"I think the ladies need some time apart," suggested Robbie, taking Isabella's arm.

"I agree, Robbie. Please fetch Ace and Teddy. It's time for us to head home."

Robbie nodded at his request. "Right away."

I felt Nicholas tug on my arm and I resisted, glaring at the back of Isabella as she and Robbie walked away.

She was supposed to be my friend. Why couldn't she be happy for us?

"Matilda, this way."

I gave in, and we slowly walked along the driveway in the opposite direction to Isabella and Robbie.

"Anna would've been happy for us, you know. Even if we became engaged before her and Brad. She still would've been happy for us."

He released my arm and slid his hand around my waist, resting it on my hip. "I know, darling."

"I miss Anna so much."

"I know that, too," he said softly.

His touch was comforting, but it wasn't enough to ease the queasiness in my stomach. The alcohol, another painful reminder of the loss of a best friend, and the possible loss of a new best friend was too much to bear. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

"Come sit down on the garden seat."

We strolled over to the concrete seat and I plonked down on it, leaning into Nicholas for support. I closed my eyes, relishing the warm midday sun on my face, and the touch of Nicholas' fingers pushing strands of loose hair behind my ear. My anger and sadness were subsiding, however, the nausea was not.

After stumbling to the nearest bush, I fell to my knees and emptied the contents of my stomach into it.

"Oh, darling," I heard Nicholas say sympathetically, rushing up behind me and rubbing my back in support. He waited patiently for me to finish, then I plonked my backside on the dirty ground.