I stared at him. I knew nothing of Polish history, but it sounded reasonable. "But how do you know about her if she's so good at hiding? You're new here, and even Rayne has only been here once."

"I was told in secret by a family member who spent two decades here. He said 'Follow the trail of discolored leaves and she will reveal herself at the mist of a waterfall. But only when she wishes it.' Before I left, my kin threw a party, where many pulled me aside to share their experiences."

I looked around incredulously. "We're literally in a forest full of leaves. How in the world-"

Rayne laughed, the tinkle of chimes in a summer breeze. "You may not be able to see things as well, Sky, but we are much more adept. Have some faith."

I huffed. "I know, but seriously. I don't see any signs of water here, and all the leaves look the same."

"Not exactly," Jace said as he ducked under a low hanging bow and brushed it aside for me. "We can hear water running close under our feet. That means we will find where it meets the topside soon. That is what we are following."

I shook my head in disbelief. I wished silently for a hearing aid to enhance my ears like theirs. But I suspected even then, it would be lacking in their level of ability. "Whatever you guys say. But don't be surprised when I throw you in front of me when a ghost pops out and attacks."

Rayne laughed loud enough to send birds into flight. "You watch too many horror movies." I shrugged and swiped at a loose strand of hair that escaped my hastily made bun. Jace beat me to it, his hand flashing out and gently tucking it behind my ear. I blushed. We continued on in silence for what seemed like hours. The sunlight progressively dimmed, and I thought it may be close to dusk when Rayne perked up and clapped her hands.

"There they are," she sang. Her eyes were bright with fascination. At times, she reminded me of a young child, easily satisfied and excitable. Her gaze was fastened to a line of shrubbery that looked ordinary to me, but apparently Jace saw whatever she did, because his spine straightened and his head cocked in thought. He turned to me, going behind me and softly taking my shoulders in his hands. His mouth touched my hair.

"Focus, Skyler. Center your gaze on those bushes, the shape of the leaves." I squinted, doing as he said. "Then brush aside the mental fog that is obscuring the form. It will feel like ripping a Band-Aid off." My eyes felt strained, a mixture of the dim light and the trip here with distorted images was interfering in the sharpness of my vision. But the more I stared, the more color seemed to pop to the surface like a fish breaching the smooth face of water. I let out a little gasp as splotches of purples and oranges dotted the little diamond shapes of the leaves, the ragged edges seeming as sharp as pointed knives.  It was as if droplets of dye had splattered them in a haphazard array of pattern.

"I see it," I whispered. He had been right; my mind felt like a slap or minor sting had grazed it with the sudden appearance of the colors. The air felt heavy, intelligent as ever as we began walking again. My boots were now caked in a fresh layer of mud, half of my bun falling around my shoulders. I followed the aliens as they more easily followed the splotchy trail that lay before us. A small creek began bubbling a slow, cold trickle of clear water by the long line of bushes. I stared at it, unable to look away from the swirling current. Small fish were swimming happily along, red and white like an Expo marker, but then were gone in the next instant. I squinted. Had I imagined them?

"It can play tricks on you," Rayne commented sympathetically. She hung back, staring where I did, just as mesmerized. "Even for us. This place is of ancient origin. It has had a lot of history."

"Why did she choose this place specifically? Of all the places to hide..." I trailed off.

"Because it reveals truth and enhances the abilities."