At last, we jolted to a stop. Jace's feet seemed to temporarily leave the ground, a force unseen catching the momentum that wanted to barrel us forward at the same intense speeds. I caught my breath as my eyes flew open, blinded by sunlight that fell through the shifting canopy of ancient trees that towered over us. Some trunks were as wide around as a small house, making me feel small and insignificant, while others were leaning and willowy like old women needing support.

"Where are we?"

Rayne threw her head back and her arms wide. Her face resembled a joyful fallen angel, body a perfect image of time trickling through an hourglass. "God, that was much needed. We should do that more often, brother."

Jace was watching me with an energy that radiated from every pore of his skin. I knew my face must look like a mask of wonder. "Where are we?" I whispered again. I couldn't bring myself to speak louder than that. The environment felt sacred, as if things unseen were watching and holding their breath.

"Bialowieza Forest," Jace said. He set me on my feet. I marveled at the springy green carpet under my boots. There was little foliage or under brush, other than the occasional shrub that hugged the base of a periodic tree. A soft frigid breeze brushed my hair like fingers caressing my cheek and I shivered. I threw him a questioning look, not understanding where that was.

"Poland," he clarified.

"What?" I squeaked. "Jace, you kind of need a passport for that kind of stuff." But inside my head, I was a tornado of excitement and wonder. I'd never left the country before. The air felt pure, untouched. I felt my soul lift. My comment fell false to my own ears. In actuality, I wasn't the one to talk about rules. I didn't care. I slowly rotated, taking in every tree and sound like a dehydrated person getting a glass of cold water. It reminded me of enchanted forests mentioned in the fairy tales told to children. Jace watched me with a satisfied smile, coming closer and putting an arm around my waist.

"Do you like it?" he murmured, his mouth brushing my ear. I shivered.

"Yes."

"Come on, you two. We don't have all day. She only shows herself if it's daylight. And if she likes you." Rayne scratched her head considering. "And I've only been here once before, so Jace, I'll leave it to you. It's your visit anyway."

Jace nodded and took my hand. He began to lead us deeper into the trees, the awning of leaves becoming thicker and darker. Animal noises were everywhere, the forest alive and watching. "Who is this 'she'?"

He threw Rayne a sidelong look, then cleared his throat. "Ariss. She is Morfilian. She is the oldest here on Earth, as far as anyone knows. She hides away here, tired of humans and Morfilian alike. We are looking for a waterfall's mist."

I sighed. Interesting. "Where's all the snow? I thought it would be snowy in Poland in the middle of January."

Jace spread one of his hands out in an all encompassing gesture. "She can control weather within a certain radius of herself."

A cold finger ran its way up my spine. I didn't know how to respond to that. The underbrush grew denser, the old oak and spruce trees crowding closer and closer as our silent audience. High above, a bird squawked accusingly in a cacophony of echoes that mingled with other wildlife. It felt like deep, unmoving eyes were following every movement we took, the air only providing minimal cover. I caught myself holding my breath, and in turn Jace squeezed my hand.

"What do you need her for?" I asked him quietly. Ahead of us, Rayne frolicked among the bushes, examining leaves and berries with the eye of a scientist studying an experiment.

"If anyone would know the effects of generational Morfilian blood flowing down the ages, it would be her. The Council believes her to be dead, killed by Sharves back in 1651. During the Battle of Beresteczko. It was the perfect setup."