09. New Years Gone Wrong

Start from the beginning

     Natty tugged on her hand eagerly, giving her a look as she nodded toward a familiar figure. Ivy  couldn't contain the smile on her face at her friend, pushing her toward the boy that stood by the staircase. "Go, you came to see him anyway,"

     "But, what do I say?" Natty panicked, anxiously fiddling with her bangs. "Do I look okay?"

     "You look gorgeous, Nat. Go on, before you lose your courage."

     Ivy gave her one last push and watched as her friend made her move, falling into conversation with the guy. The dark haired girl stuffed her hands in her pockets and turned away from the scene (no doubt it was because of the freezing winter), a small huff leaving her lips. It was only by chance that nobody decided to take a midnight swim, the outdoor pool and seating area vacant. Ivy took out her phone and sat by the one furthest from the backdoor, opening her Line app for, frankly, no apparent reason other than to pass time.

     She clicked on the family group chat instinctively, wondering how her cousins and aunties were spending the new years. Dozens of photos started loading in, a few showing family members staying in, eating dinner by the kotatsu table to stay warm. But that was from thirteen hours ago, due to the time difference. Two pictures showed the first sunrise, with her older cousins taking walks to admire the new year. The more traditional side of the family texted that they had visited shrines to pray for health and luck.

     Ivy thought about the times where she spent her new years back in Japan, when her entire family would spend the night in and have a simple dinner, the air light and filled with laughter. Her grandmother would peel her oranges because she didn't like the texture of the skin. Her dad would take pictures of everything and get scolded by her mom, saying that he's wasting the film and storage.

     The girl chuckled at the memory, a bittersweet smile taking over her face. Now, she was sitting at the backyard of someone's home, the lively party beating inside. It was thirty minutes 'till new years now, half an hour left before she could leave this party.

     Perhaps getting a drink wouldn't hurt.

     Making her way back into the house, she squeezed between different people and tried to find a jug of water that wasn't spiked. Taking a paper cup from the stack, Ivy filled it three-fourths of the way and drank in long sips. Halfway through refilling her cup, her senses felt something... off.

     But nothing at this party was out of the ordinary. The more she looked around for the cause, the more lost she found herself. Nobody acted strange, and nothing in the house was particularly eye-catching (other than the questionable portrait of Jesus). She was probably just paranoid. Downing her second cup of water, she threw it in the trash can and just as she was about to search for her best friend, a hand tapped her shoulder.

     She turned around and found Aric standing in front of her, the boy who had been hopelessly flirting with her for the entire year. Ivy tried to keep a neutral expression as she greeted begrudgingly. "Hi,"

     "Hey," he tried to place his arm around her in a suave attempt of flirting, but Ivy tensed and stepped away. "Your best friend's here, isn't she?"

     Ivy nodded curtly. "Yes,"

     "So how come I never seen you around?"

     "Maybe I just don't want to be seen," she shrugged, pulling her hand away as he tried to grab it. "Could you please not bother me?"

     Aric rolled his eyes at her as if he couldn't believe her words. "C'mon, every girl wants to be with me. You're lucky I even noticed you."

     Ivy resisted the urge to gag, keeping her lips in a thin line. She should really find Natty by now. "Do you even know my name?"