Chapter One: Past Scars

Start from the beginning

     "They left the most valuable thing here: Zud's abhorrent amount of bread."

     Alxton chuckled. "Thank goodness. I wouldn't know how to break the news to him."

     Biffle closed the barrel and rubbed his hand under his chin. "What was taken again?"

     "Diamonds from every barrel, except the Bread Lord over there."

     "But not all of them?" He inquired.

     "No."

     Biffle furrowed his brow. "No as in 'not all of them' or no as in 'no, not all of them'?"

     "Not all of them," Altxton replied, hovering over Biffle's shoulder to peer at the man's book.

     So far, there was only the phrase 'Sigils stinks' scribbled in barely legible chicken scratch. Alxton nodded solemnly.

     "You practically caught the culprit already."

     Biffle smiled and shook his head. "No, but I do have some suspicions."

     Alxton tilted his head. "Oh?"

     "Nope, not telling you." Biffle slammed his Very Important notebook shut, whirling on his heel and heading towards the door. "I'll get back to you!" He called over his shoulder.

     He exited the bank, his head swimming. The robber had been very smart indeed. That immediately ruled out any case of fraud from Alxton. Kate was more enthralled by her treehouse than wealth.

     Jerome... yeah, right. He would've burned it down instead of stealing anything.

     So, who was left? Sigils, Nico, Henwy, Biffle, though he was pretty sure it wasn't him, Blushi, and Zud.

     Nico had been in the mines for days- almost a week at this point- and if the state of his house was any indication, he hadn't been home for quite some time. Plus, Nico was true. He wouldn't steal.

     Blushi had already started mayoral campaigns so it seemed unlikely that she would risk her reputation for a few diamonds, but he'd keep an eye on her. He didn't know her well enough to make a call.

     Sigils, Henwy, and Zud.

     Sigils had never done anything like this before. He and Biffle were best friends, he would know if Sigils had done it. And yet....

     It seemed right up his alley. This was premeditated. Analytical. Who was more analytical than Sigils?

     Zud was probably smart enough, but from the rumors he'd heard, he, Kate, and Alxton had been the ones arguing for peace. Assuming his morals hadn't changed, why would he stir up trouble now? Still, Biffle would keep an eye on him, just in case.

     Henwy. Biffle shouldn't assume.

     He shouldn't.

     But....

     He had been the source of three drastic, world-changing events. On top of that, he'd been a dictator with an iron fist on the camper's finances. Even earlier than that, he'd run the Mafia and a black market.

     He felt bad because he didn't really have any evidence against Henwy- in fact, the hybrid had been gathering building supplies all week amicably, but this was Henwy.

     Sigils, Zud, Henwy, or Blushi. Biffle was sure the culprit was one of those four.

     Attempting to adjust his monocle before once again realizing its presence on his face was a phantom, he cracked his knuckles and turned towards a where he'd last seen Henwy go.