Chapter 1: A surprise at Buda

The Royal Palace, Buda, Hungary

1474

The entrance of General Fedrek De Clare and his daughter, Mena, hushed the crowd. The dark beauty was rumored to be as bloodthirsty as her father. But tonight, the only one of the pair who held steel was the general. To Mena's disappointment, her dress didn't allow a scabbard or even a quiver. Her father, dressed in thick red fabric with fur lining, still paled against his daughter's rich blue dress encrusted with jewels along the throat.

Mena had resisted the urge to claw at her neck all evening. She felt it hard to breathe and wanted to be done with this ridiculousness.

She looked about at the mass of people in the great hall; all turned toward her, looking her up and down, appraising her, judging her, thinking they knew her. She refused to cast her eyes down as she knew she should.

The general pressed his hand against the inside of his elbow, covering the more delicate hand that gripped him a little harder than necessary.

"Just smile, sweetheart," his deep voice rumbling under his breath. The graying whiskers beneath his nose shook ever so slightly. It will take more than just a smile to get through this night, thought Mena. She dreaded time at court. The pretending, the politics, the monotony, the pompous gossip. The restrictive clothing, yes, that was most dreadful. Through her internal dialogue, she reminded herself to "just smile."

Mena attempted to curl her mouth in a pleasant way, which, she noted, probably appeared more like a sinister grin to the crowd. Her heart racing, she stepped forward with her father to be presented. The two walked across the hallway to the dais, greeting the young king, Matthias Corvinas. The general gave a deep bow, bending at the waist. Mena, forced to let go of her father, lowered her eyes and gave a deep curtsy.

"General, you grace us with your presence and your lovely daughter," said King Matthias. The crown on his head was a dark gold like his hair, which cascaded in waves down to his chin. The king was barely 30 but had ruled Hungary for half his life already.

The general stood upright and smiled proudly. "Thank you, sire. She is truly my life." He turned his head to her. "I know I've kept her with me for much too long. Certainly, the battlefield is no place for a young lady, but I've been selfish and treasured every precious minute."

She patted his arm and gave him a gentle smile.

"Ah, yes. But isn't it time for you to give another joy? Isn't it time for a husband to be chosen for her?"

Mena froze. Is this why they were here? The king's invitation and her father's insistence on her attending with him began to make sense. The women who were sent to dress and prepare her for tonight, instructing her on how to act, speak and smile–all so she could be sold off.

She stiffly turned toward the dais. "Husband, my king?"

"Yes, my dear," King Matthias smiled. His eyes crinkled like he was offering a gift to a young child. "You're well past the age of marriage, and your father wants only the best for you, as I can plainly see."

King Matthias had been 15 when he was chosen as king among a group of men who thought themselves more politically savvy. Matthias had proven them wrong for the past decade and a half. But unlike Mena, he had been married—and widowed—twice already. His first bride, Elizabeth, died at 13 of an illness shortly after the wedding. Catherine died at 14 from childbirth. Mena wouldn't expect the king to be a fan of marriage, but it had offered him the alliances he craved, if not an heir.

She watched as he turned and beckoned to a servant for another glass of wine. Mena knew the conversation was over. The king's attention had moved away from her, and she was ushered away.