❝PROLOGUE❞

▌𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 ━︎━︎ 𝐀 𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥 ▌

━︎━︎━︎━︎𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐈𝐔𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐃 his baby girl in his arms, looking down at her with a smile on his face. Sirius never believed that he had been good at anything in his life. He wasn't that great at school, he had run away from the cruelties of his family because he simply wasn't good enough for them. When Anastasia had agreed to marry him and to be his other half, that was something he never understood but didn't question. When Anastasia had told him that she was pregnant, he didn't know what to think. He went to James Potter in a blind panic because he wasn't going to be a good father, his own wasn't very kind. James put his hands on both of Sirius' shoulders, a wide smile on his face as he reassured his best friend that he was going to be the best father in the world.

Now, here he stood, Anastasia asleep in their room, having just come home from the hospital that morning. Juniper had been crying and Sirius hadn't hesitated to stand up and run to her, picking her up and singing soft words to her until her cries became soft whimpers turning into the cutest snores he'd ever heard in his life. Her dark brown hair had one curl which swept across her face. She looked just like her mother.

Sirius pressed a kiss to his daughter's forehead. "I am going to do right by you, Juniper. I promise that you won't have to live the same way that I did." He placed her down in her crib, staring at her with such a love in his eyes that his parents never had for him, smiling once more at his daughter before leaving the room so that she could sleep in peace. Sirius didn't know that that would be the last time that he saw his daughter, that the following morning two of his best friends would be killed and he would be blamed for their slaughter.

When he had been taken away to Azkaban, Anastasia didn't know what she was going to do. Remus Lupin held her tightly in his arms, comforting her as she cried. Anastasia sniffled, walking over to her daughter and picking her up, holding her tightly in her arms. Her daughter was going to grow up without her father. She looked to Remus with desperation in her eyes. James was supposed to be the godfather of her child, now he was dead. They had never made it official on documents, but it had been a discussion between Sirius and Anastasia multiple times.

"Remus," Anastasia whispered, "do you know what this means for her? She's going to grow up with all the wizarding world looking down at her like she's nothing. Remus, you have to protect her. If something happens to me, Remus, you have to promise me that you'll protect her."

Remus nodded his head without hesitation. "I'll protect her with my life."