<thirty-four>

it had been another 3 years. it was my 21st birthday and carl was on a run. he had gone a week ago and was supposed to be back 2 days ago and he still wasn't home. it's not like i could just call him and ask him where he was and when he would be back.

i sat on the couch, bouncing my leg, my mind trying to find something to take my mind off him so i didn't worry too much. he was strong he was surely okay. besides, i wouldn't know what to do with myself if he wasn't.

as my mind went over every litte part in attempt to find another focus point for me, i remembered. my period should have started the day after he left, but still nothing. and i remembered what we had done when i had come back from a run 2 weeks ago.

i got up, pulling on baggy cargos and a short sleeved shirt as july was pretty hot. i went down to the corner where the drug store we would get carls bandages from. it was still empty from when we had locked walkers out and they had left probably found someone to follow away. i just prayed it wasn't carl.

inside, i went behind the counter, grabbing 3 different tests. even though i was only 5 at the time, i remembered my dad telling my mom to do more that one when she thought she was pregnant with a 4th kid. thank god she wasn't. i barely got along with matthew, i would have been a shitty older sister.

i made my wy back home, only having to kill 2 walkers and they weren't together so i could use my knife, not having to waste any bullets or risking brining more walkers over.

as i got home, i sat in the bathroom, contemplating what i would do if 3/3 all came back as positive.

as the 3 minute wait went on for the first one, i sat there. my leg shook as i waited for the results that terrified me. my watch ticked to the last second of the 3 minutes. i looked at the two little lines. they were faint but there.

positive.

another.

positive.

another.

positive.

each one was more vivid than the last, but all 3 still said that my worst fear was going to come true. i sat on the floor, my back against the bath tub as i cried into my knees. i didn't even realise the door was now open. i only found out someone else was here when carl rushed over, falling to the floor beside me 'what's wrong? are you okay? taylor please talk to me. are you bit?' he frantically asked, panicking about me.

i looked back up at him wit tears in my eyes 'i'm fine. well, i'm not, but i'm not dying. you have nothing to worry about me.'

he pulled me into a hug as i ran my fingers through his still short hair. he had started asking me to cut in after he did it himself on his 18th as it had turned out very messy and thought i could do better job. he asked 'so what's wrong?' i stayed silent 'please tell me. i won't stop worrying about you until you tell me.'

i didn't say anything, i only reached up, grabbing all 3 tests off the sink and handing them to him. i added 'i'm not sure how reliable they'll be because they're old but i'm also a week late so it's pretty good chances.'

'i thought we used a condom.' he chuckled, letting his head hit the bathtub 'i remember we did.'

'they break, or they're faulty, or expired.' i explained 'who knows but they don't always work.'

he smiled slighty as he looked over to me 'we're going to be parents though. that's one thing i never expected to happen.' i laughed as i crawled into his lap, hugging him with my face in his neck but he pulled me away 'wait. what happens if you die like my mom, i don't think i an handle that.'

i sighed, thinking but remembered 'yeah but she only died because she had to have a c-section and to be honest, we could see that coming if you were also a c-section baby. but I've got pretty good genes. no one in my family has ever had to be born that way. but if it makes you feel better, we can go find a community that has doctors.'

ne nodded 'could we.'

i stood up 'of course. but we can leave in a few days. for now lets spend a few more days here.'

we went back to the bedroom where i got into bed, grabbing a book as he went downstairs. i began reading it as carl was downstairs. i could hear him rushing around in the kitchen. i laughed at him from upstairs.

i only went downstairs when i heard him trip and hit the floor. i rushed downstairs 'carl are you okay?' i found him stood in the kitchen and it was a mess. i laughed 'what have you done?'

'i tried to cook for you.' he brushed his foot against the floor.

i laughed, wiping sugar off his cheek 'how the hell you have sugar on your face. you know there's no need for this. you shouldn't be running around just yet.'

'but i want to look after you.' he kissed my cheek 'when can i?'

'in 9 months.' i answered.

'too long.' he pouted.

i shrugged 'we'll be out of here soon. you can look after me on the road.'

he kissed me and agreed.