Prologue

As the snow settled on the roof while the silent winds sung a sad lullaby, a 13-year-old boy found himself waking up in an environment unfamiliar to him. The air was eerie and scent of blood wafted across the room. Even then the boy was calm. The little ripples of blood were not enough to scare him. The hostile environment did not bother him. What bothered him were the countless bodies in front of him. Five corpses lay in front of him. Four of them children while the fifth one an adult. There was a sixth there, but the boy was sure she wasn't dead. Not yet. The boy rose and adjusted his vision to the dim light. He slowly made his way to the sixth girl. Her fair skin was covered with red blood.

Her wavy hair rested on snow. She appeared to be same age as him. She lay in what appeared to be the front yard. Was this a shrine? It was rare for houses to be this remote and the style of the house was quite ancient. He carried the girl on his back. The blood did not make him uncomfortable; he would wash it off later. He carried her into a room inside the house, to stay at least a little away from the room in which five corpses lay dead.

He looked around for a cloth to cover her wounds. He had to hurry if he wanted to save the girl. He grabbed hold of a nearby towel and tore it with his teeth into pieces. He applied pressure on her wounds with the cloth. He ignored the fangs which he noticed in her mouth for now. He could always enquire about this once she was in a talking state.

But he found it strange. Even though she was hurt this much, her heartbeats weren't normal for a human in such state. They were beating much faster than for a normal human. Much, much faster. Moreover, he could feel her body temperature rising at an alarming rate. Just when he was about to put more pressure on her wounds, he heard a shriek. It came far out from the woods. It was one of desperation, one of hope. Was that person related to this people? Or was it the original person responsible for the scene in front of him? The boy continued to apply pressure on the girls wound. It would be unwise to flee now, he might be mistaken for having murdered the people here. He could hear cries of the boy as he discovered the corpses of his other family members. He must be headed here now. The boy readied his guard for a possible altercation.

The priority was to avoid a scuffle with the new person. He was unaware if the person was normal. Looking down at the girl in his arms, the fangs in her mouth were proof enough. As the door opened, the boy came face to face with another boy of his age. His wide and dark eyes were brimming with tears. The moment Tanjirou noticed the boy in front of him carrying his sister in a pool of blood. Something snapped in him. His face contrasted in uncontrollable rage. He grabbed an axe laying nearby and flung himself on the boy. The boy calmly analysed Tanjiro's moment. They were certainly sloppy, might be due to his anger he figured. Anger is a warrior's worst enemy, it makes him vulnerable and irrational. Unlike Tanjiro, the boy was composed in front of death.

The boy was sure that the axe was aimed at him, and he could certainly feel the killing intention directed at him. He could not move his body as it was holding the girl. There was no way to dodge. But he was sure of one thing. He simply hugged the girl as if to protect her from the strike. To say the least, that was enough for tanjirou to stop. If he didn't, he might end up slicing through his sister. And it looked like the boy in front of him was...shielding Nezuko.

It did not make any sense. Why was this boy, dressed in strange clothes here. If he was the one who murdered his family, then why would he protect nezuko? Still holding the axe in his hand, he shouted,

"Why...! Why are you holding her you bastard!"

Even though his words were rather unfriendly, he no longer sensed the anger he had felt before. This was better.

"If we do not dress her wounds, she might die here. We can talk later."

Tanjiro still confused, focused back on his sister. He could see the towel drenched in blood covering her wounds. This boy was not an enemy for now. He still had a lot of questions which could wait for now. Nezuko was much more important. Both the boys silently worked and dressed the girl's wound. The boy noticed another peculiar thing about the girl but decided to keep quiet for now. Once they had dressed her, they laid her on an old blanket.

Both the boys got up, the boy didn't ask Tanjiro any questions nor did Tanjiro asked him any. Tanjirou carried the corpses of his family, while the boy dug pits with a shovel. The snow was unforgiving. It was still dark. It would be quite some time until the sunrays would reach them.

As Tanjiro paid his final respect to his slain family, the boy watched standing behind him in silence. Tanjiro finally stood up and faced the boy.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?"

The boy was studying Tanjiro. He could not see the fangs, the ones the girl who he had just tended to had. This further added to his doubts.

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka."

Tanjirou had never heard this surname ever before in his life. A foreigner perhaps?

"What... what were you doing here Ayanokouji San. And... and ..."

Tanjiro's words stopped, still unable to comprehend that his entire family except nezuko were now dead. Ayanokouji understood this, so he took the initiative,

"I was passing along here... then I smelt blood coming in this direction. I discovered this blood shed upon investigation. Thankfully the girl there was still breathing."

"Nezuko!"

"What?"

"Nezuko! Her name is Nezuko!!! She is my sister!!!"

"Oh okay"

Suddenly Tanjiro banged his head down on the snow below,

"I apologise for my actions earlier and thank you for saving my sister, Ayanokouji San!!!"

Ayanokouji sighed and simply said, "I'm glad your sister is alive. You don't have to apologize, I would have done the same if it was someone I held this close to heart."

Tanjiro raised his head, "Do you have someone you hold close to your heart too Ayanokouji San?"

"Yes, I have a father whom I love a lot."

A terrible liar. Tanjiro did not notice any feeling of warmth from Ayanokouji's words. Nor did he notice any kind of animosity. His words were cold just like the expression on his face. But he trusted Ayanokouji more than anyone alive at the moment. The people whom he trusted more than the strange boy in front of him were already dead. Murdered brutally in their own house. Takeo, Hanako, Shigeru, Rokuta and his mother all were dead. Why did he have to stop by for the night. Why didn't he return. Maybe then... he could have saved them.

Ayanokouji noticed the solemn look on tanjiro but made no effort to provide words of any consolation. Even though they were no longer enemies, Ayanokouji knew well enough to not interfere in Tanjirou's grieving.

After some moments, Tanjiro's face changed to one full of a rejuvenated willpower. His eyes blazing with a determination he bowed down again,

"I thank you again Ayanokouji San for helping my sister and treating her wounds. Staying here would not answer the questions I have in my mind. I'm taking nezuko to the town. Then I will think of what to do."

"I will accompany you till the town. Then we can go our separate ways."

This was the most logical option for Ayanokouji. He had no idea what dangers lurked here, ones who massacred an entire family in a brutal way. Moreover, he did not know the road to the town, he could then figure out what he could do in the town. For now, it would be better to tag along Tanjiro. And apart from all that, there was one more reason Ayanokouji was following the pair. That girl... Ayanokouji knew for certain she wasn't a human.

__________________________________________________________________________

Author Notes : Just completed the manga just had shower thought imagining Ayanokouji in this manga. And if you have read my other fics, you guys know I have pretty wild imagination lol. And for those who know me on discord, lets just say 'cursed' lmao. Anyways please don't expect fast updates. I'll do this in a regulated way so I don't stumble upon a writer's block and actually complete one fic for gods sake. Anyways bye for now.