23. Hospitals

Chapter twenty three:
"hospitals"

[tris prior]

I sat in the waiting room with tears stained cheeks as my little sons slept in my arms.

Yesterday after getting tobias's text saying that he was gonna be home soon, I changed the twins into their pajamas and the three of us waited.

When I got the call I thought it was tobias saying that he was pulling over, or that he had gotten some snacks for the movie. I don't know, but I wasn't expecting a call from the hospital.

This was his second car accident now and I was losing my mind because they hadn't said anything and I had my kids here asking for him.

Cole, Danielle, Matt, Kenzie and Xavier were in the cafeteria grabbing themselves dinner, or breakfast? It was 5am and I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep but it's not like I could.

Knowing that tobias could be... dead? It just didn't let my mind shut down.

"Have they said anything?" Zeke said coming towards me as he held his son Max in his arms. He had gotten in the first flight to Boston when I called him.

I hadn't told Christina and will since they were in Greece and I didn't want to ruin their trip.

My parents were in the other side of the room with Shauna, the three of them sleeping.

"Do you think he's dead?" I said my voice slightly breaking at the thought of losing tobias. My husband, my best friend, my soulmate.

I couldn't imagine my life without tobias. He couldn't leave me and the boys, and our unborn baby. We are suppose to grow old together to see our children take off and start their lives.

Zeke shook his head and sat down next to me, max hiding his face in his neck.

"Don't think that way tris, you know how tobias is. He wouldn't leave you or his sons for the world" he told me and I just nodded.

I wanted to believe him, I really did. But you couldn't fight fate, anything could happen and I couldn't do anything about it.

"I brought them this" Xavier said as he came inside the waiting room wheeling the boys' double stroller. I sighed in relief and smiled at him, even though the smile didn't reach my eyes.

"Thank you so much Xavi" I told him standing up and carefully placing Kyle and Louis down. They moved around in their sleep and cuddle into their teddy bears, their heads resting on their pillows.

I wrapped their blankets around them and moved the top of the stroller so the light wouldn't hit their eyes.

"anything?"

I shook my head. Just as those words left his mouth, a man wearing a light blue uniform with a white coat over it, approached us. He pushed his glasses further up since they were falling off, resting in the tip of his nose.

As he spotted us he gave as one of those smiles that I hated because I knew nothing good could come out from them. Pitiful smiles.

Something happened.

"Mrs. Eaton?" he asked as he placed his pen back in his pocket, putting a clipboard under his arm.

I looked at my friends before nodding my head and standing up, putting my hands on the stroller.

"Yeah, that'd be me" I told him, as I ran my fingers through my hair and stopping half way due to a knot.

my parents who had probably woken up due to the sound of the loud doors closing, came towards us and asked the same question that I was so afraid to ask.