─ 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

Start from the beginning

She felt that feeling again. The way her senses were at maximum power, the way her insides felt like they were slowly melting inside an industrial oven, and the way she had that metallic taste of blood in the back of her throat again. Most importantly, the brunette was wishing Max was with her. But the headstrong freshman chose what she wanted to do and followed her own thinking. The final embrace Magdalena and Max shared in the RV was more memorable and loving than any of their other ones and for good reason. Magdalena heard all those groans and sighs as her friends dropped into the Upside Down one by one, but she only opened her eyes when she felt fingers embellished by chilled rings graze her hand.

After her green eyes were on display again, it wasn't necessary for Magdalena to turn to her right. She saw Eddie just fine from her peripheral and also witnessed him smile when she took the initiative to interlock their fingers securely. Everyone stood around the mattress, giving each other one last glance and a couple of head nods that were meant as a confidence boost of sorts. All of them were suited up for the most part. Even Magdalena sported a hideous camo jacket that she couldn't wait to take off after this ordeal. Other than that, she was physically defenseless—left without tactical weapons meant for destruction. All she needed was the grimoire though. Magdalena May had been preparing for this. She studied every word from her grandmother's spellbook. Just for this tense make-or-break moment.

The group soon made their way over to the door of the trailer, Magdalena and Eddie being the last ones out the door. It didn't really matter though. What awaited them wasn't pretty. From Magdalena's heavy prognosis, the Upside Down still sucked. The brunette stared off into the distant sky which occasionally glowed red and then shifted her eyes to the surroundings near her. Everything in the trailer park seemed dead and gloomy—not much of a pretty sight. Magdalena softly squeezed down on Eddie's hand without even sparing a glance at him. The girl's heart did even out when he mimicked the squeeze to reassure her.

"This place definitely didn't get any better the last time we were here. Kinda was hoping for a 'Welcome Back' parade or something."

Magdalena sardonically remarked more so to herself just to ease her own nerves as she felt her body shudder slightly. She eyed Lulu who was ahead of everyone else along with Nancy and Robin. Magdalena noted how her friend appeared smiley and optimistic—she almost always was. Lulu was a walking, talking ray of sunshine, but Magdalena feared that the Upside Down wouldn't take kindly to those types of people.

Obviously, Lulu Hayashi felt like an action movie star, but Magdalena knew how her best friend functioned. The slightest cruelty would break her and the young witch couldn't help but worry about Lulu's safety. Everyone stopped moving in an instant when Steve turned around to address Dustin, Eddie, and Magdalena as the brunette in question almost knocked into Dustin because of the abrupt stop. Magdalena couldn't recall when Steve Harrington gained such a commanding presence and it seemed to surprise her each time. Especially his equally direct instructions:

"Hey, guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just..."

"Decoys."

Dustin finished the sentence easily before Steve ever had the chance. With her eyebrows raised in intrigue, Magdalena had her eyes on Dustin as he and Steve had this moment of agreement. The brunette had to stop herself from talking back and confessing that she'd go against the plan if there was a need for it, but she remained silent. Her dad's voice rang inside her head, reminding the girl to not do anything impulsive. Magdalena's free hand clenched as she swallowed that urge to voice her opinions. Her conscience also reminded her that she couldn't jeopardize anything because lives were at stake.