two: A Good Teacher

A few days had passed since the Sully family were granted sanctuary on Awa'atlu

A few days had passed since the Sully family were granted sanctuary on Awa'atlu. You saw them only in passing, specifically the two sons, always in a rush to their lessons, arguing between each other over who's fault it was that they were late. From that, you were able to pick up their names, Neteyam and Lo'ak, Neteyam the one who's eyes wouldn't leave your mind, the one often scolding Lo'ak regarding their tardiness; you figured he was the older one. He was slightly taller, held his head higher, unlike Lo'ak who reeked insecurity, craving validation.

Tsireya waited for them each morning, her smile and confidence in them never faltering, even with their uncoordinated dives into the sea. She told you they were making good progress, despite their physical limitations. Though, Ao'nung was quick to disagree, grumbling that she gave too much credit to the "forest monkeys", to which Tsireya would smack the back of his head. You were a little jealous that they got to spend time with the outsiders. Ignoring the strange pull towards the eldest, you were curious about all of them; you wished it was you teaching them, getting to ask them about their home, the trees, but Ronal was keeping you busy, preparing you for a first breath ceremony, one you were expected to lead. You've participated in many, from a young age, standing beside Ronal, watching, and as you got older, assisting her. You had every movement and word memorized like the back of your hand from the many years. You knew eventually it would fall to you, as it was a key part in being Tsahik, announcing the newborn to Ewya and the people, guiding it to take its first breath after being plunged into the sea, its first communion with the world, the air and water.

Every practice before, you were perfect, but today, you kept messing up, distracted by the splashes and loud yelps of the Sully boys, learning to ride ilu. They were far from graceful, falling off before even making it underwater and constantly yelling between each other and Ao'nung and Tsireya trying to teach them. Hearing so much noise in your village was not something you were used to, a contrast to the normally quiet and mellow days. Ronal was especially irritated by their rowdiness, her brows furrowed and forehead creased everytime they caused a sound. She noticed your distraction and could easily figure out the cause, seeing where your eyes were constantly wandering off to.

"You're distracted"

You jumped, startled by Ronal's sudden remark.

"I'm sorry."

She turned to look towards the ocean, sighing, "My son is not a good teacher."

You were silent, unsure how to respond.

She continued, "I will have Ao'nung assist me with the remainder of the preparations and weaving. I cannot bear to see anymore of that humiliation."

You stared at her with wide eyes, confused. Ronal scoffed and nodded her head towards the direction of the Sully boys.

Realization hit, "You mean I--"

You were shooed off before you could even finish. You called for an ilu, not wanting to test Ronal's already thin patience. Connecting your queue with it, you were pulled towards the group.