Chapter 34 - Betrayal

Start from the beginning

Once in the elevator, El rested her head onto Eddie's chest, staring aimlessly into the distance only to see Buck making his way towards them all. No one made eye contact with him, no one wanted to utter a words to him.

As Buck approached he felt his heart sink into his stomach and the look on El's face broke him. He was starting to question why he was truly doing this. Seeing the way Eddie had his arm around El only made him jealous and bitter, he should have his arm around her not Eddie but if he hadn't done this, there would be no reason for it.

-

They arrived at their next job which was an animal abuse protest gone wrong, multiple young people attached to a duck conveyor belt by bike locks. "Oh you withheld information from your team. How's that working out for ya?" Chimney spoke, digging at Bobby, no one yet knowing of El's situation.

"El, bolt cutters!" Bobby yelled.

"Coming in hot" El spoke as she leant across Eddie and broke the lock from around the boy's neck before helping him to the gurney.

"He needs to go to jail" The owner spoke as he shut down the machine.

"Hey, did you just shut that off?" Bobby spoke aggressively.

"So?" The owner rebutted.

"So, you could have done that the whole time and you just let it run?" Bobby growled as he grabbed the man and shoved him against the wall.

"Ah, man, they were trespassing" He panicked.

"They're just idiot kids! They could have died!" Bobby yelled, slamming him once again before El stepped by his side.

"Bobby!" El interjected, placing her hand on his chest. Only a few moments later, the boy they had just cut free was now choking on the key he had just swallowed. El stood back while Chimney and Hen dealt with it; however when the owner dared to utter a word, El shot her head round.

"Oh please don't let him die on my property" He spoke.

"I suggest you shut your mouth" El sassed him in a somewhat aggressive manner.

Bobby shot her a confused look before all eyes were focused back onto the situation.

-

"Okay, listen up. Last couple times we were here, mistakes were made. That is not gonna happen again. That is why I am pairing you up on your assignments. Eddie, Lena, you are on meats and deli. Nothing leaner than 92%. Hen, Chim, baking aisle. Unrefined flour this time. Thank you. El and I will cover fruits and vegetables. Once you have everything on your list, we will reconvene at the dairy case. Let's move!" Bobby spoke as they stood outside of Howies Market.

"Why do I have the displeasure of being with you Cap?" El laughed as they walked down the aisles.

"Funny" He chuckled, "I wanted to see how you were, and how you were coping with everything that's been going on?" Bobby spoke, "I saw how you were when you left the room"

"It's shit, I won't lie" El shrugged as she looked down at the list, "He betrayed me Bobby and I really don't do well with being betrayed..."

"He did the same with me.." He confirmed.

"I know, they asked me about it...I assume that's why Chimney is being more sarcastic than usual?" El questioned.

"Yep.." Bobby sighed.

As they made their way round, what they didn't expect to see was Buck standing before them. "What are you doing here?" Bobby asked.

"Me, I'm just here to-" Buck spoke, "To do some-some shopping" Buck spoke and grabbed a random item from the shelf.

"Eight miles from your apartment?" Chimney asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, well, this is the only place that has...Happy Cat laxative powder," Buck spoke as he read the box.

"Yeah well we both know Pebbles doesn't like you very much, particularly now" El tilted her head, crossing her arms as she referred to Mikey's cat that lived in their apartment.

"Listen..i-I came here to apologise. Okay, I, I never meant for things to get so out of hand with the lawsuit and- " Buck stuttered through his words before Eddie cut him off.

"Yeah? What'd you think was gonna happen? The lawsuit's bad enough but you told your lawyer everything about us, personal things." Eddie spoke in an angered but firm tone.

"You're supposed to be truthful with your lawyer. Why are you so pissed at me?" Buck sassed, unsure as to why he was so mad when Bobby and El had the most right to be pissed at him.

"Because you're exhausting. We all have our own problems but you don't see us whining about it. No, somehow, we just manage to suck it up. Why can't you?" Eddie spoke bitterly.

"That's kinda harsh. It's not like the guy asked to be crushed by a ladder truck." Chimney responded.

"No but he filed a stupid lawsuit and now I can't even talk to you because of it. You know how much Christopher misses you? How could you? You're not around" Eddie argued.

"I, I didn't realise that. Maybe I can come and visit Christopher. You know the lawsuit doesn't prevent that." Buck rebutted.

"No but it prevents me from reaching out to you. I couldn't even call you to bail me out of jail." Eddie spoke to which everyone gave him a confused look. "If that was something that happened."

"What-What? What are you talking about? Look, man, why can't you see my side of this?" Buck continued.

"Cause that's all you see" Eddie stepped to him now however a crash from outside grabbed the attention of the first responders.

"Let's go," Bobby spoke.

Buck gently took hold of El's hand, "Please, can we talk?" He asked her, his eyes pleading with her.

"Let go of me" She growled at him, looking at him with fire in her eyes. As soon as she asked, Buck let go, following the team outside to see the mess that had unfolded.

-

Rage. What better way other than aggressive sex to get your emotions out? A rage room. That's exactly what Bobby had booked for the team as the team attempted to deal with the whole lawsuit ordeal. Before the team headed out to the room, Bobby called El into his office. El entered the office, "Hey, everything okay?" She asked, dressed in her attire for the night.

"Close the door and take a seat" He spoke softly.

It was never good when you had to close the door. El did as he asked and sat across from him, her heart rate increasing by the second. "Wh-Whats this about?"

"I just got a call from the chief...due to Bucks lawsuit and some of the things that were mentioned in your talk, I regret to say this, but they are forcing me to put you on leave until further investigations have been made...I'm sorry El" Bobby said with a heavy heart.

El felt her whole world spin, "What...I'm fired?"

"Not fired, just put on leave..." Bobby spoke.

"Email me all the details and I will get in touch with my lawyer. Don't worry Bobby, I won't be coming for you. Count me out tonight." She nodded before getting up quickly and leaving the room, needing time to process what just happened. Not wasting a moment, El jumped straight onto the phone, "Hey...yeah long time no speak...So I erm, I got a case you might want, fancy a trip to L.A?"

"Sounds like fun" Daphne spoke with a smirk.