third person

sage got about an hour of sleep before jj jumped on top of her, sage gasping and sitting up, running a hand through her hair as jj looked up at her with a grin, sage grimacing as she shoved him off the bed.

"you're getting dandruff in my sheets." she complained, jj quickly shaking his head.

"that's paint." he elaborated, sage wrinkling her eyebrows as she swept what she now realized was white flakes of paint off her bed.

"why the hell do you have paint in your hair?" she asked, jj's eyes widened.

"dude, it was the wildest thing." he started, sage leaning back against her headboard and raising her eyebrows was it smirk. "so, we went to lana grubbs' house, right-"

"the lady who's husband just died?" sage cut him off, jj holding his arms up in surrender.

"that's what i said, don't put this on me, your brother did this." he explained, sage shrugging.

"sounds like him, continue."

"and we get there, and i just hear, bam! bam! knocking the paint off the walls, from inside!" jj continued, sage nodding, sitting further up and leaning against the headboard. "so at this point, i'm like... we're doomed." he breathed, sage shrugging.

"well you weren't." sage breathes, and jj nods quickly, john b slamming the bedroom door open.

"sage, holy shit, you won't believe what happened-"

"already heard." the blonde cuts him off quickly.

"i hate you both." the younger routledge deadpans. "anywho, come check this shit out."

sage and jj climb out of her bed, sage pushing herself up and following the boys down the hallway towards her father's office, everyone bent over the table or searching the bookshelves.

"morning, sunshine." morgan said with a warm smile, sage returning the gesture and standing next to the shorter redhead.

"what am i looking at exactly?" the blonde asked, john b holding big john's compass out to her, sage's face falling as she hesitated.

"sage, come on." john b tried, but sage shook her head quickly.

"i don't want anything to do with him." she breathed. "you can show me, but i'm not touching that compass."

john b sighed heavily, unscrewing the backing on the compass, holding it out of sage to look at. 'redfield' was carved into the back of the compass.

"is that-"

"it's dad's handwriting, he had the weird 'r' thing, remember?" john b said, screwing the back of the compass on, sage nodding her head.

"so what's redfield?" she asked.

"that's what we're trying to figure out. pope thinks it could be an anagram."

"okay, yeah, anagram, morgan, come help me." sage said, grabbing a piece of paper and a pen, leaning over it, morgan right next to her.

"fielder?" morgan suggested.

"no, there's a second 'd' in there somewhere." sage explained, feeling something cool around her waist. looking down, she realized morgan's had was resting on her side, the girls arm around her waist as she pressed the side of her head against sage's arm to get a better look at the paper.

"guys." john b spoke suddenly. "someones here." sage quickly stood upright, walking towards her brother and standing next to him at the window, jj and pope soon following. a black truck was parked outside, two men climbing out.