Prologue

The foam from the waves splashed against the sides of the boat. At least the sea was calmer than it was for several days. Though, it was still too rough for her liking.

A short woman pulled her hooded cloak closer, for a moment revealing a bit of her bright red hair and intricate tattoos that lined her face. No one bothered her, thankfully, but she still wanted to avoid attention. A lone dalish elf, especially a mage, could bring unwelcome thoughts. Focusing on getting back to dry land and not the anxiety. This was the farthest she was away from home, all alone.

'Help me...'

Sudden pain came over her, as she leaned over the railing.

'Help me...'

A voice kept repeating in her head. To the point where it made her feel sick. Then the world blackened to darkness. She opened her eyes again to the sound of distant screams and the chittering of spiders.

The scenery was warped, broken walls and rocks as far as the eyes could see. Green lightning dashed across the sky like horrible scars. Weakly she stood up, sensing the magical aura sending waves of fear. Though the magic felt...familiar. The fade?

She never remembered the fade feeling like this when she dreamed. Was this some corrupted place? A nightmare? Was revisiting the boat trip just a memory? She never had a chance to ponder it. As the chittering got louder. Rounding the corner was a small horde of twisted spiders coming for her.

'Run! Come towards the light!' The voice resonated again.

In a fit of instinct, she desperately looked around for a light. Up on one of the broken stairways stood a woman clothed in light. She had no better choice. Either trust a strange voice or be devoured by whatever those creatures were.

So she ran as fast as her feet could take her, climbing despite the rocks digging into her flesh. But her energy was waning with every inch. Except she couldn't stop because the beasts were gaining.

'Take my hand, Kayla!'

She reached up and grabbed the stranger's hand. The explosion of light as a green light flared before everything went white.

After the light faded, her vision was blurred as she tried to look around, barely registering the soldiers holding their swords near her. She fell with her face to the stone ground.