序章 ; Prologue

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

NOTES

This is set a day after Hikari was given the rank of Hashira.
Enjoy :)

‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒‒

「 ☁️ 」

- SHE WAS THROWN forward into the Infinity Castle, the strum of Nakime's biwa echoing through her ears. She effortlessly landed on the platform where the Upper Ranks often congregated; some of them were surprisingly social.
Some of them being Daki, Doma and Gyokko. Three of the seven Upper Ranks. Kokushibo was never around when everyone was nearby, Hantengu was scared of everything, and Gyutaro hated social interaction. Which was understandable. She didn't really like it either. She just felt bad for Doma if she left him alone, since he adored her with every atom of his being.

"Hikari-chan~!" Doma calls as he appears behind her, wrapping her in a hug. "I forgot how adorable you are, I could literally eat you!"

"Don't." Hikari says, jokingly serious.

"I won't, you're too cute to be dead~!" The demon grins, letting go of his previous demonic 'tsuguko' and patting her on the head. "I wonder why you've been summoned here! Lord Muzan hasn't been around all day, and I've been so lonely!" he pouts, folding his arms.

"You're so dramatic, it's difficult to watch sometimes." Hikari sighs, lighthearted sarcasm clear in her voice. "I requested Nakime to bring me here, because I have news for Lord Muzan."

"Nothing for me?" Doma asks hopefully.

"I guess you can also hear this. You might be proud of me." a smile tugs at the corner of her lips.

The taller demon gasps. "Hooray! I'm so excited to hear what news you have to tell! Wait, I want to guess! Did you. . . kill a Hashira? Oh, another Hashira! I'm so proud of you!"

"No, I didn't kill a Hashira. Calm down, Mr. Apathy, I'm not sharing the news until Lord Muzan arrives."

As if on cue, Nakime strummed her biwa and announced Muzan's arrival. Hikari and Doma both turned to face Muzan as he appeared, with all five of the other Upper Ranks appearing and bowing in unison with the two.

"I used to think that all you seven existed for was to disappoint me." Muzan spoke huskily as he looked down upon all of the Upper Ranks. "But recently, I have been proven wrong. The disappearance of Upper Three was a real setback, but, if I am not mistaken, the current Upper Three will redeem her position and the Twelve Kizuki. Is that right, Hikari?"

Hikari nods, keeping her head towards the floor.
"Yes, Lord Muzan. If I may?" she asks.

"You may stand and tell me your news face-to-face." Muzan answers, and watches as Hikari slowly stands to her full height, her eyes hidden in the shadow cast over her face by her woven hat.