i. a normal night

season one—act i—when the world turned upside down

the vanishing of will byers

THE GROUP OF FIVE SAT AROUND THE
table, deeply immersed in a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Lou Cameron, Will Byers, Lucas Sinclair, and Dustin Henderson—all of them laser-focused on Mike Wheeler, who was masterfully narrating the game campaign.

"Something is coming, something hungry for blood," Mike intoned mysteriously, casting his eyes around the room as if he could see the impending danger. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness." Dustin wiped his nose, still intently staring at Mike. "It is almost here," Mike said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Will leaned in, the tension palpable. "What is it?" he asked frantically. Dustin turned to him, eyes wide. "What if it's the demogorgon?" Dustin's voice quivered with apprehension.

Lou placed her hands on her head, anxiety etching lines on her face. "No, it can't be the demogorgon; we're screwed if it is," she said, her voice trembling.

Dustin leaned back in his chair, trying to appear calm. "It's not the demogorgon," Lucas tried to reassure the group.

"A group of troglodytes charge into the chamber!" Mike announced with enthusiasm.

Lou sighed in relief. "Troglodytes, Mike? Really?" she said, crossing her arms. Lucas pointed at her, chuckling. "Ha! Told 'ya!" he said, and Lou scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"...wait a minute," Mike said softly, suddenly alert. He looked around the room, his eyes narrowing. "Did you hear that?" he asked the group.

Lou took a sharp breath. "What, Mike? What?" she asked, gripping the edge of the table. "That sound...boom...boom...BOOM!" Mike banged his hand on the table for emphasis.

Mike smirked as everyone jumped at the sudden noise. "That sound didn't come from the troglodytes; no, that came from something else," he said, his voice dropping to a menacing whisper.

Everyone leaned in, desperate to know what was causing the loud banging. Just then, Mike slammed down the token of the demogorgon. "The demogorgon!" he yelled, eliciting loud groans from the group.

"We're in deep shit!" Dustin exclaimed, slapping his hand down on his lap. Lou turned to him, her irritation evident. "Mhm, 'ya think?" she snapped.

"Will, your action?" Mike demanded.

"Fireball him, Will!" Lou urged her friend.

Will was visibly stressed. "Yeah, but Lou, then I have to roll a thirteen or higher!" he replied, his voice tight with anxiety. Lou groaned in frustration.

"It's too risky; cast a protection spell," Dustin argued.

"Don't be a coward; Lou's right, cast a fireball!" Lucas said, his hands raised in exasperation.

"Cast protection!" Dustin countered.

Mike banged his hand on the table again. "The demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering; it stomps towards you, BOOM!" he narrated with dramatic flair.

"Oh shit!" Lou exclaimed, biting the hem of her jacket sleeve. "Fireball him!" Lucas urged.

"Another stomp, BOOM!" Mike continued, the tension in the room mounting.

"Cast protection!" Dustin shouted.

"He roars in anger!" Mike added, increasing the pressure.

Lou grabbed Will by the shoulders, her eyes intense. "We don't have time for this! Just fireball!" she insisted.