The Meeting

"Bond, James!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

"Cahill, Amy!"

Amy walked up to the stool nervously and placed the hat on her head.

Well, it seemed to speak in her head. Another Cahill. I Sorted your parents, you know.

My parents were magical? She thought.

Yes. Beatrice is a squib.

Oh! That makes sense! But why did the house burn down, then?

You'll find out in due time. Now, let's see… plenty of brains, but you're not exactly a Ravenclaw type. No ambition. You're nice and loyal, but you're equally brave and just.

Me? Brave? That's a laugh.

You'd be surprised. You're equal in both houses. Do you have a preference?

Amy hesitated. Gryffindor, with my friends, please.

All right. "GRYFFINDOR!" it shouted out to the school.

Amy scampered down to the red-and-gold table and sat next to Hermione, across from Harry. As she watched, she saw six other people that she recognized from the family reunions. Ian Kabra immediately became a Slytherin, as did Jonah Wizard. Ted, Ned, and Sinead Starling became Ravenclaws, and Hamilton Holt joined her in Gryffindor.

Hamilton sat down next to Harry. "Hello." He said, not at all shy. "You're Amy Cahill, right? From that lady's family reunions?"

Amy nodded. "Y-yes."

Hamilton looked at the others. "Hi. I'm Hamilton Holt."

Harry, Ron, and Hermione gaped at him, taking in his size. He was almost as big as some of the fourth years. Ron recovered first. "Ron Weasley. Say, were you always that big? Ow!" Hermione had whapped his head.

"Sorry about that idiot. I'm Hermione Granger."

The first-year grinned. "That's okay. Most of my family are worse. The Hat's probably going to put my sisters here just because they're too stupid to be anywhere else."

Before Harry introduced himself, the food appeared. Amy gasped. "How did it do that? Where did it come from?"

Hamilton stared at her. "Don't you know? I thought that your parents told you."

Amy tried to glare at him, but failed. "I-idiot." She turned to the food, ignoring his protests, and realized that a small note had appeared on her plate.

Miss Cahill,

Please see me in my office after dinner. The password is 'Licorice Wand."

-Albus Dumbledore

She looked around the hall and realized that Hamilton, Ian, Jonah, and the Starlings had received similar notes.

She shrugged and began eating.

"Licorice Wand." As the gargoyles creaked open, Ian Kabra walked up.

"Hello," He spoke. "You were sorted into Gryffindor."

"A-and you're in S-slytherin."

Ian nodded. "By far the best house. I saw you talking with a Mudblood and a Blood Traitor."

"A wh-what and a wh-what?"

Ian sighed. "Muggleborn and a pureblood who associates with the wrong type of people."

"What t-type of p-people?"

Ian shrugged. "Mudbloods and muggles. They're so inferior–"

"Langlock."