Chapter 1.4: Hunting

Start from the beginning

She immediately turns to me in confusion.

"Watch it, you might burn it."

She directs her attention to her food. "What do you mean we're going back to Python? Aren't we wanted there?"

I shake my head. "I'M wanted, they didn't get a good look at your face, they might not even know you're a girl."

"That's true... but why are we going into Python?"

"Well, they have a bounty up for me, right? There should be more bounties up in the sheriff's office. We can gain more money for turning in bounties."

I doubt that there is a lack of murderers, the age of outlaws may be coming to an end, but that's why bounties should be at an all time high price.

"I need you to go into Python and collect a bounty poster from the sheriff's office, I'll come with you in case anything goes wrong."

Horikita sighs and moves her food away from the fire. "You better be right about this, I don't want the law to chase after us again."

Horikita takes the piece of meat off of the knife and starts to eat. "We'll be fine, the sheriff wasn't even chasing us, there is no way for him to recognize you himself, or off of a description of you."

I unhitch Priceless and mount him. "Get on Janus, we should get going now."

Horikita gets up and mounts Janus. "Fine, but am I allowed to bring any weapons into the office?"

Gun laws were a lot more tame at this time, she should be fine with bringing a weapon with her. "This is the late 1800s, you can bring in an armory of weapons in an office, as long as you have it holstered, you will have no problems."

And with that, we start traveling up to Python.

________________________________
Horikita's POV:

I wonder how Ayanokouji can keep that expressionless face.

He doesn't look fatigued at all, in fact, he never looks stressed at all.

Even during the island exam, he lacked any hesitation in executing all of his schemes to win that exam.

"Horikita, we're here."

"Huh?"

I was brought back to reality and find myself in the middle of Python, the town I woke up in.

"The sheriff's office is right there, let's go."

He immediately commands his horse to trot, in which I do the same.

"Will you really be waiting outside? Doesn't that look suspicious?"

I'm supposed to go in the sheriff's office and find a bounty poster. Waiting outside the office makes it look like he is waiting for me.

"I will be browsing through the stores, I'm not here to just oversee you, we still need to find anything that could be of use to us."

I dismount Janus and tied my hair up.

I turn towards the sheriff's office and take a deep breath. "I hope you're not wrong about this."

I open the door to the sheriff's office.

As soon as I enter, I spot the sheriff leaning back in his chair.

"Oh, hey there miss. I think you entered the wrong place, the general store is opposite to my office."