Wen Zhuliu reaches in and lifts the lid, taking out a round disc. It has the heart shape gouged out in its centre, like Wei Ying's heart shaped locket, but inverted, because there are definite engravings on the inside. The outer edges are misshapen but smooth, as if the hand that created it was too intent on getting it right instead of aesthetics.

Could it really be that simple? Just by Wei Ying putting his locket into this stone, would it truly activate it?

It was quite literally a heart stone.

Wen Zhuliu presses it into his palm,

A powerful ripple of energy spreads from that single point of contact, a contrast of cold metal against the soft flesh of his palm, and the sudden heat Lan Zhan can feel all across his skin.

There's no time to process though, because a concealed door opens right next to them, and in walks Wen Chao, with his scantily clad girlfriend hanging off his arm, whinging about something.

"ChaoChao....you promised!" She pouts in what is supposed to be a cute gesture, but Lan Zhan is really feeling the second hand cringe.

"Go and find Wei WuXian and Baoshan Sanren, give them this." Lan Zhan mutters in a low voice, discreetly handing Wen Zhuliu both the papers and the HeartStone. "No one else. Do it now. Don't get caught!" He uses his best compelling voice.

"A-Jiao...."

Lan Zhan watches as Wen Chao, completely oblivious to his presence, nuzzles his girlfriend, slipping his hand into her dress. She shivers exaggeratedly, pressing herself closer to him, and then they're kissing.

Lan Zhan angles his body so that Wen Zhuliu can slip out of the room unnoticed, while he scans the room for a weapon, anything.

He's both disgusted and embarrassed by the noises those two have begun to make, and as he the anger take root, Lan Zhan lets it grow, flooding his system.

The low growl that leaves his throat is one that is unintentional, saturated in wanting revenge.

He's got Wen Chao here, in a room where he cannot escape.

And the angrier he becomes, he can feel his canines coming out, and when he looks down at his fingertips, they have transformed into sharp, lethal looking talons.

By the time he's done with this slimy excuse of a person, a waste of space really, only one of them will be leaving this room alive.

The second growl that leaves his mouth is louder, and this time, it has the power to grab their attention, and the happy couple split apart like a clap, with a screech from the female.

Wen Chao looks even more crazy than before.

His eyes are red rimmed and bloodshot, his pupils blown making his eyes look completely black.

Lan Zhan can see a faint dusting of a fine white powder coating his upper lip and around his nose, and the same is true for Wang LingJiao, who wipes it off with the back of her hand, cheeks red at being caught when she sees him looking.

The cruel smirk, an overconfident lopsided grin, and Wen Chao advances.

*************

CONTENT WARNING: GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND BLOOD

Wei Ying stopped.

Baoshan Sanren pauses in her hurry, and looks back at him.

They've just entered and she's about to question him when shots zing past them, making them bend and twist for cover. The blasts reverberate against the walls, echoing in layers as armed guards take up a defensive position right in front of them, and there's nowhere to hide because a long empty corridor stretches in front of them.