A Smuggler's Resolve

Things had been crazy after the destruction of the Death Star. Even for a smuggler like Han Solo.

      The young captain watched as X-wing pilots in orange jumpsuits celebrated with Flameouts and laughter. Staying out of the way of the excitement, Han sipped a tall glass of ale. It wasn't Corellian, but still a decent drink. A half smile tugged at his lips as he watched about half a dozen pilots clustered around one of their fellow men as he retold his recent adventure to destroy the Imperial Battle Station. Blue eyes and blond hair flickered with adrenalin as the young man gave his account of the story. Han laughed inwardly. Who would've thought? The farmboy turned hero,  Luke Skywalker, saves the day with a lucky shot after I saved his...

      "And then I turn off my scopes... And I use only my keen Jedi instincts to fire the torpedoes into the exhaust vent! I'd say it was a one and a million shot..." Luke boasted proudly. Han noted the fact Luke had forgotten to mention that if he hadn't shown up in time with the Falcon, the kid would have been Bantha fodder.

      Eh, let him have his moment of glory. Who needs glory? Glory can't pay off a bounty the way that reward money will... Han absently thought of his ship, the Millennium Falcon. He pictured the high sum of credits sitting on board, ready to pay off his debt to Jabba the Hutt and save his neck. Maybe then he could have a fresh start. Han shook the idea from his head. Fresh starts weren't his sort of thing. Trouble always seemed to follow him around one way or another. Not wanting to linger over his problems to come, he pushed the thought aside and reached for his glass. Before he could bring the drink to his lips, a bright face joined him at the end of the room beside the bar. "How's it going, Han?" Luke asked.

      Before answering, Han took a long swig of ale. "Just celebrating. How about you, kid? You seem quite popular among our new friends." Luke gave a sideways glance at Han but then smiled back at the pilots behind him. "Yeah," he said slowly, "Do you know where Leia is?"

      Han rolled his eyes. "How should I know?" he asked in annoyance. Luke nodded carefully. "I just wanted to make sure she was okay. After what happened with Alderaan..." Han furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean?" he asked, setting down his drink. The amber liquid sloshed onto the bar counter.

      Luke shifted uncomfortably but eventually began. "Leia grew up there. I know what it's like to watch your home be destroyed," he explained in a low voice. Han leaned with one elbow on the counter as he imagined Leia watching her home, her family, her whole life, erased from the galaxy.

      Snapping from his thoughts, Han scanned the party for the princess. It was true, she hadn't been around all evening. Feeling a knot of grief begin to tangle in his stomach, he turned back to Luke. "Sorry kid, looks like our illustrious princess must be too good to share in revelry with us common folk," he said indifferently although he didn't believe a word he said. Luke frowned and shook his head. "Well, maybe she'll join the party later," he told himself hopefully. Han, suddenly eager to ditch the crowded Rebellion bar, turned back to the counter to finish his drink. Luke remained at his side.

       "So I guess you're staying here then?" he pressed. Han sighed heavily and turned back. "Look kid, I only came back- " Luke cut him off. "Because you care Han! You know as well as I do that the Han Solo who saved me from that TIE fighter wasn't in it for the money. He was protecting his friend!" Han tightened his jaw. "Well the Han Solo that saved you is done doin' favors. If you wanna risk your life in a  fight you can't win, go ahead. Just don't expect me to save you next time," he grumbled. Luke shook his head in disappointment. "And to think, I thought you had changed. I just hope you're happy when that reward money runs out and you're back where you started..." Luke muttered as he finally left. Han was about to start after him, but he decided it was no use arguing.