Chapter 127 A New Purpose

Comincia dall'inizio

Nhazul's Fluctlight: I spoke to the Queen...to Shino about this. About what to do if something like this happens. She said that if she were the only one copied, then she would request her own deletion right away. If both of us were copied, then we would spend the little remainder of our time on working to reconcile the real world and Underworld...

Higa: Then... what if it was just you? What happens then?

Higa probed, as though he were hanging on to every word. Before Higa could finish his sentence, Nhazul's Fluctlight's  answer the sent shivers down his spine.

Nhazul's Fluctlight: Then, I will fight for Underworld only. Because... I'm the protector of that world. And I will protect it, by any means necessary...

Higa: F-Fight...?

Nhazul's Fluctlight: Underworld is in a very unstable situation at the moment. Am I right?

Higa: That is... indeed the case...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: That world is powerless against the Real World to a pitiful extent. Whether it's energy, hardware, maintenance, or networking... the upkeep and management of every single piece of infrastructure depends solely on the people of the Real World. There's no way of guaranteeing its long-term safety like this.

Two minutes had passed now. But the copy's tone remained quite calm, showing not a single sign of impending collapse.

Higa: But there's nothing we can do about that. We cannot move Underworld's body, the Light Cube Cluster, away from the Ocean Turtle. The ship's under state control now. At the slightest whim of the government, they could shut down its power tomorrow, causing the entire Cluster to format...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: How long will the reactor fuel last?

Higa: Uh... Well, it's a pressurized-water reactor meant for a nuclear submarine... if it's just maintaining the Cluster, I'd say four or five more years...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: Then, in principle, we don't need to replenish any fuel before then. That is, as long as we prevent interference from the outside world, Underworld can continue to exist, right?

Higa: B-But, when you say 'prevent'... there aren't any weapons aboard the Ocean Turtle, none at all! How would you-

Nhazul's Fluctlight: I said I would fight.

The short utterance of his voice was calm and steady, yet reminiscent of a steel blade.

Higa: Fi... Fight...? But, with the satellite uplink cut off, we can't communicate with the Ocean Turtle...

Nhazul's Fluctlight: There is a uplink. There should be.

Higa: W-Where...?!

?!