01 - If He Wanted To

Start from the beginning

"Well... he's a different form of intimidating I guess. Like too handsome or too cool to even approach."

"That and fans can be scary."

"True true."

"You're really the safest option Ichi."

Isagi can only facepalm at the replies he got. As if on cue, the dark-haired boy felt his phone vibrate.

Yuki
can you teach your brother some manners?
he might listen to you

As if. Isagi scoffed.

he won't
might as well just ask y/n-chan if you want him to change

Yuki
nvm, he'd probably kill me first

"Heard Emi got dumped by Aiku-san."

"You make it seem like they were even together in the first place."

"Well you're still his longest relationship so don't worry Aya."

The mentioned woman who was lost in her thoughts just processed the words her friends had been saying. Ayaka had been warned many times prior to being in a relationship with the soccer player.

She hated that like most people she knew, she didn't listen. While her friends talk about her past relationship like it's some sort of achievement, she didn't feel like it was. It wasn't even the fact that she managed to date Oliver, it was the fact she had been his longest girlfriend.

But the more she knew about the man, the more she understood him. Spending time with him made her realize why it was her who lasted the longest. It made her realize why Oliver could barely make a relationship last in the first place.

And as if she needed a reminder, she was greeted by the sight of her ex-boyfriend and a lady everyone knows a bit too well. Someone you'll know if you're interested in Oliver or anyone in his friend group.

"Is that Aiku-san?"

"Damn a new one already."

"That's not someone new."

Ayaka briefly commented, catching the attention of her friends for a second before they all returned their gaze to the woman with the man they had just been talking about.

Finally having a clear view of who Oliver was with, one of Ayaka's friends scoffed when she realized who he was with.

"Oh of course."

Ayaka can't help but stare at the woman who shares the same hair and eye color as herself.

"You're the prettiest ya know." Liar.

"Don't do anything ok?" Ayaka warned her friends who looked pissed off at the scene in front of them.

"No wonder Emi was crying I guess."

"Bitch, I'd cry too. Are you ok though?" Her friend asked her.

"It's been months, i'm over it."

"If I were you, I would have been all over that girl when you two were still together."

"Stop it, Mika. L/n-san... she didn't do anything." Ayaka defended.

"Exactly. Have you seen how Oliver acts around her? She should have done something."

"Mika I know you're angry but that's not her responsibility in the first place and she already did a lot for me back then." Ayaka reasoned out.

"Yeah, if anything Aiku-san should have stopped clinging to another woman when he was already dating someone. Regardless if that person was his 'best friend'." Her other friend added, making Ayaka sigh in relief.

She knew her friend was just mad for her sake, while it was Oliver they were angry at, Mika couldn't help but feel angry as well at the indirect factor of her friend's failed relationship.

Ayaka on the other hand, never held any resentment towards Y/n but she would be lying if she said she didn't feel extremely jealous of the girl. She envied the fact that the things she had to beg Oliver for in their relationship, were things he does so naturally with Y/n. She envied how he always put her above everyone and everything else.

Y/n on the other had listened to her when she told her about how she felt about their "friendship". But the distance Y/n tried creating between her and Oliver only seemed to drift Oliver even further from Ayaka.

At that point, Ayaka knew that Oliver would have never chosen her in any circumstance.

And she knew that all the women he dated before were aware of that fact as well. That doesn't stop others from trying though, either coming to the soccer player with a 'I don't want anything from him so it's fine if he doesn't put me first' mindset but still ends up growing attached anyways.

Or the 'I can change him' mindset. Which hasn't worked for anyone so far, seeing as she was one of the few who thought the same.

But seeing Oliver do the things he said didn't like, just for Y/n, reminded her that he in fact could. The times he'd tell her no suddenly came to mind.

May it be because he genuinely didn't have the time for it or simply because he didn't like it. The times she'd initiate a date only for an excuse to come her way, not even in person but through text, stating that he was busy or he didn't want to do it.

She always adjusted for him, because she wanted him. Because she loved him.

Wincing at the remembrance of her past self. Ayaka glanced at the pair as the memory of Oliver rejecting her plans, when she asked him to go to very cafe they are in right now, came to mind.

Oliver <3
Can't.
Too far and I don't really like their menu
We can go out next week somewhere else

Was it really too far she wondered. As the text messages she received that day mocked her, she can't help but chuckle to herself internally. She knew it was neither too far nor was he too busy.

It just so happens that Oliver didn't like her enough for him to put out all that effort.

Because if he really wanted to, he would.

Author's Notes:

Idk who started the Isagi and Oliver brothers hc but I love you sm.

Extra Facts:

- Oliver and Isagi knew each other from high school. They got close after their first game together.
- Y/n and Nagi knew each other since they were kids, she basically adopted him.
- Nagi has a love hate relationship with how Y/n babies him because they're only a year apart.