2

Rosaria didn't really believe in the Anemo Archon. She had no reason to. All her life, ever since she was a little girl, she would pray for his help. Every night she would kneel on the cold floor of her home in which she was forced to live with the old man, and hoped for a better life the next day. Obviously, that help never came. Her young self had to kill that man on her own.

Despite her lack of faith, she sat in a pew in the church, silently praying to any archon that will listen. She didn't know how she got there, holding a rosary in her hand. She huffed out a laugh at her namesake that she held gently. Whether she was repenting for the events of the night before, or the sake of the city from the monster running around, she sat and mumbled hymns and verses under her breath.

The sound of heels clicking on the marble floors pulled her from her focus. An angry sigh was heard soon after.

"You? Praying? Never thought I'd see the day," Sister Victoria scoffed.

Rosaria rolled her eyes, carefully setting her hands in her lap along with the rosary.

"The one time I do my job correctly, I get chewed out. And you wonder why I avoid mass, Sister," Rosaria retorted.

"I just don't think it's that difficult to do what you're supposed to."

"I didn't choose this job. I'm here because it keeps me from living on the streets. Now, let me pray for the family and soul of our late sister."

Sister Victoria rolled her eyes and continued walking down the hall. The church was especially quiet that day. A few citizens would come in and worship, probably to pray for their safety for the following night.

Rosaria continued to pray, although she felt like it was useless. No one would listen to her. Someone who has sinned day in and day out. Whether it be the drinking, the killing, or sleeping with the calvary captain of the Knights of Favonius. There was most likely very little forgiveness left for her.

The nun stood and made her way out of the church. Since they were mourning the loss of their sister, the church didn't have much for her to do that day, which she was forever grateful for.

It was starting to get dark out. The streets were lit up with candles and lanterns. Mondstadt was beautiful at night, even with all of the blood being spilled in the corners of it.

Rosaria was wary. Not only did she not want to be the next victim, she also noticed the stares she was getting on the streets.

"Witch!" A woman wailed towards her.

Rosaria barley dodged the rock that was thrown in her direction.

"Monster! Why hasn't the church ostracized you yet?!" Another man yelled, throwing food.

The nun knew she was different. Her eyes were sharp, she was cold and pale. No wonder these people, who were scared and blinded by fear, decided that she was the obvious culprit. With these incidents that happened so suddenly, she made her way over to the knights' headquarters. She shuffled right past the guards and right into Kaeya's office. He was startled, but nonetheless surprised to see her.

"Ah, Rosie, I was just about to meet you at the tavern," he smiled.

"People are throwing rocks at me, Kaeya. Rocks. They think I'm the killer," Rosaria replied coldly.

A hint of guilt glinted in Kaeya's eyes. He let out a sigh and rubbed his eyes.

"I tried to stop them, Rosie. I really did."

"What do you mean?"

"Jean and Lisa. They've labeled you as their number one suspect. I couldn't do anything to prevent it."

"You let them spread that?"

"Of course not. Tsk tsk, it's really the last thing I wanted. I know it's not you, Rosie. I know for a fact. A cold, hard, fact."

The tone of his voice made her stomach to somersaults. Usually, he never has this kind of effect on her. She's good at keeping her emotions in check, but sometimes he knows just the right things to say.

Rosaria knew he couldn't do anything about the situation. He sat back in his chair, giving her a sympathetic but sultry look.

He wanted something.

She carefully made her way to the other side of his desk, and sat. A smile spread across his face, and he slid in his chair and placed a cold hand on her waist.

"Your hands are always cold," Rosaria deadpanned.

Kaeya's eyes flicked up to hers in what looked like being caught off guard. He quickly recovered and brought a hand down to his vision.

"Yours are too, Rosie."

There was something off about him. He wrapped a hand around one of her own, and brought it to his lips. He left a cold kiss, and looked up at her with hungry eyes.

"I...I can't tonight. I have work tomorrow, and it was already a struggle today-"

"That's okay, Rosie, that's okay. I just didn't expect you to come to me with your problems. I'm glad you could trust me."

There it was again. Her stomach filling with butterflies. She quickly stepped on those butterflies and stood to leave. She wanted to go home, to sleep, and maybe have a smoke. She couldn't let him get to her like that.

She'll only end up getting hurt.