Seven Years Ago

Seven years ago I had a home. A mother. A little brother. We would play in our tiny apartment. Chasing each other around and screaming "I'm gonna catch you!" Then Mom would scoop us up in her arms and Terrence, Mom, and I would laugh so much that our stomachs would hurt.

     Seven years ago we celebrated Terrence's eighth birthday three days after my eleventh birthday. On the day right in between our birthdays, the three of us would all bake a cake make each other sloppily made gifts and cards I gave Terrence a dragon out of clay, I accidentally dropped it when I gave it to him, but he loved it even more. He said, "It's not like any other dragon in the universe!" Then he gave me a card that said in his horrible handwriting: To someone who is always there for me. Happy Birthday Corbi! (when Terrence and I were born my mom want to name us something unique) Mom gave me a big hug and a big notebook and some pencils because of how much I loved writing. Then she gave Terrence a hug and handed him a big box. Inside was a bunch of Terrence's favorite card game expansion packs. Terrence loved the game and got Mom and I to play it with him, and we enjoyed it. We loved seeing him happy and had fun playing Battle Dragons with him. You would get a stack of cards and three random dragons, then you would choose one dragon to send out first, and put the other two aside, then you would shuffle your cards that all had different special abilities and draw five. On your turn you can either enhance your dragon, attack, or play a specialty card. You have two plays each turn (both optional) and you can't attack on your second play.

     Seven years ago I had a family. A family I loved with all my heart and never wanted to let go of.

     Seven years ago there was a fire and a choice. A choice between keeping my family safe or letting them die. Only one catch either way I would never see them again.

     Seven years ago was the last time I saw my family. I know they are safe, but they think I'm dead.