Names On Your Tongue

Start from the beginning

“You’re the only other hummers, Wednesday. And you’re a girl.” You shrugged as she clenched her jaw, visibly straining herself from punching the table into two. “Besides, Genie loves when I call him that. So it’s reserved for him only.” It was true – each time, the boy would blush and stammer more than usual, and he would gift you honey occasionally. Though he knew not to step anywhere near Wednesday, he’d also figured out she wouldn’t do anything to harm him. Gravely. Yet.

If the universe allowed it, she would’ve sewn your mouth shut with the stash of thread and needles under her bed to free herself from the torture that was your terms of endearments for everyone other than her.

Wednesday cleared her throat to regain composure as your eyes raked her face for any sign of discomfort – she was acting weird, more so than usual. Others might just pass it off as normal, but you’d spent most of your time within her company; too much so that you’d caught on to her tendency for the nauseating threats.

“Wednesday?” You titled your head, your melodic voice warping around her name like it was meant to be, yet the sound was sickening as it was lovely, rising the bile in her throat as much as it brought spiders crawling in her stomach.

Say it again. Or never say my name ever again. She was conflicted, fingers clutching the pen so tight her nails turned white, her jaw clenched. She was going mad. Perhaps this was a side effect of the psychic power her mother had warned her about.

You tapped her pen with yours, skin slightly brushing against hers and cutting through her inner turmoil like a sharp knife through flesh. Wednesday focused back on the wide, concerned eyes you wore on her behalf.

“Let’s finish this. We’re getting closer to my writing time.” Her tone was sharp, though you did nothing but roll your eyes at her attempt to disregard her problem – she’d had no issue in expressing her discontentment in the past, and you wondered what it was that caused her to recoil so harshly.

The clock was ticking, the atmosphere quaint as you tried to shrug off the curiosity clawing at your insides. You nudged her finger one more time to say ‘ok’ before going back to the botany essay due in three hours, as she’d continued to remind you before your bottom even touched the bench.

“Sup, Queen B?” Jericho wasn’t as busy as the weekends – it was Wednesday, the day you’d agreed on to go for a little outing as a group without the teachers’ supervision. Bianca herself had gotten the permit and was the leader that managed it all; and you were ever the cheery pup, trailing behind Enid and dragging the raincloud of a human that was Wednesday Addams.

She’d grumbled all the way there, in the train and walk to the carnival, all the while never leaving your side – the girl had planned to find a corner and read her book as you had your fun, though the scheme all but slipped from her grip the moment her ears caught wind of the name you’d called Bianca.

If she was smart, she’d sit this one out and leave you to live out your perfect day. You’d sulk for a bit, but you’d grown used to her preference for the silence and would never force her into anything she didn’t like – which was a lot, considering the numbers of activities Enid could come up with.

The other option would be to stay attached to you like a lost duckling; and that was the last thing Wednesday would ever dream to be.

In her defense, she was unable to find any vacant corner.

She also had to halt you with her body to stop you from making an entrance into Weathervane, recalling the last time you made a scene so humiliating, Tyler almost bawled his eyes out.