· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

FUTURE

Alhaitham sat in his home office, nose deep into a research paper. He currently worked for the Akademiya, which is a renowned research facility with a reputation for it's dedicated employees. He was no exception. His English degree and affinity for foreign languages made him a perfect fit to work at the Akademiya. In his first few years, he managed to rise through the ranks, quickly earning him the position of the Akademiya's Scribe.

Much like your friends and Alhaitham, you worked at the Akademiya, too, but in a different department. Rather than using your computer science degree in one of the six Darshans, you decided to take it easy and just work as computer repair. After all, everyone needs computer support. It wasn't uncommon for a researcher to throw a fit when their computer crashes in the middle of an intense project.

The man pushes his glasses up with a sigh. The research paper he was currently reading started to give him a migraine. "Poorly written, just like the last one," he mumbles while reaching for a pen. His eyes catch a glimpse of the framed photo next to his pen cup. It was the same framed photo you gave him for Christmas nearly eleven years ago. He couldn't help the grin that found its way to his face. Impulsively, he took the photo frame and removed its back, a habit he formed when he wanted to distract himself from his demanding job.

The back of the photo now had three handwritten lines on it. The third one dislplayed 'Married my best friend' in Alhaitham's penmanship with your wedding date six years ago written next to it.

A knock on his door broke him from his thoughts. He quickly put the picture back in its frame. "Come in," he calls. The wooden door swung open, revealing you in a very lavish dress. A warm smile decorated your features.

"Haitham," you greet. "Did you forget?"

"Forget what?"

"Nilou has a new show opening tonight, and we're all supposed to be there," you remind him.

"Oh, I'll be right out then," he says. "But what about Samir?" he asks.

Samir is your and Alhaitham's son, who was a curious five year old. He inherited your hair color, but had Alhaitham's striking eyes. Much like his father, Samir prefers to stay inside and read.

"I already took care of it," you beam. As if on cue, the doorbell sounds. "That should be her right now." You quickly leave Alhaitham's office and run to the front door. The grey-haired man follows behind you.

Once you open the door, a wider smile grows on your face. "Nahida!" you squeal as you welcome the girl into your home with a hug. The young girl you once knew was now sixteen. "So glad you could watch Samir!"

"It's no problem," she giggles. "I think it's only appropriate that I should babysit my old babysitter's kid."

"Woah, Nahida," Alhaitham says in shock. "It's been a while, hasn't it?" The girl immediately goes to hug him.

"It has!" the teen laughs. "Your mom told mine about both of your positions in the Akademiya. Congrats!"

"Thank you," you both say.

"How are you two holding up?" she asks. "I can only imagine how stressful that kind of work environment can be."

"Well, it certainly is something," Alhaitham sighs.

"Mommy!" Samir shouts as he runs down the stairs towards you. "My movie ended."

"I can put a new one on for you, if you want," you suggest.

"Yes please!" he beams. Your son's eyes flicker over to Nahida. "Mommy, Daddy, why is there a stranger in our house? Didn't they teach you guys about stranger danger in school, too?" A smile threatens to show itself on Alhaitham's features while you let out a little gasp.