06. all paths lead to home

Start from the beginning

Seira was not birthed in Wazuka. The version portrayed now was birthed on its soil, but in mankind's ideology she was not birthed here. The United States was her birth place, Seattle, Washington to be exact. If she remembers correctly, her father was a United States marine, serving his country with his life. Her mother was of Chinese descent, and her and her family had migrated for a better life. She was born and raised in the United States, and only when she was 16 did she move back to her mother land to study abroad. She never left, and her family only became a distant memory with time. When they died Seira merely received the phone call and moved on with her life. She doesn't think about them anymore, not even in passing at night when she ponders at the ceiling.

That is where her and Aki were different, for Aki defined himself on the death of the past. His whole life revolved around what happened to him, he shaped himself around vengeance, and he fueled himself with dealing out judgement to the creator of his past. Ultimately, this would be his untimely downfall, for any belief or ideology set with stones of revenge would always collapse. Seira built everything she believed on with the promise of the future, for she had learned a long time ago that the only thing promising was the future, and it was the only outcome you had control over. The past was merely set in stone.

The train ride felt begrudgingly slow, like time was out to get her and make a mockery of the situation at hand. Half of Seira was eager to get to Wazuka and put an end to this devil hunt, and the other half was perfectly content with her current position, wanting to never exit the train to plant her feet on the rotting soil that had birthed her current state. No words were shared between the two buddies, Aki was fixated on the passing earth through the window he sat next too. Seira was too busy studying the book she had brought along, Paradise Lost, a book that had quickly become her favorite when she finished it the first time. She was currently on her sixth read of the book, and no time passed could ever extinguish the fire that consumed her soul when reading the book.

Aki had noticed quickly that it was her favorite book when he saw her rereading the book for a third time, yet he never indulged himself in ever finding out what fascinated her about the book, for he figured that was a subject that would lead deeper than she'd be willing to admit. This train ride made him curious about Seira though, for neither one of them spoke about her outburst in Makima's office just a day ago, and he was desperate to know why she hated her birthplace so deeply.

"Why do you hate your birth place so much," Aki broke the silent that had been settled between the two since they got on the train.

Seira slowly closed her book, tabbing it as not to lose her place amongst the pages. "Wazuka is not my birthplace, it is merely named such for it is the soil my current self was founded upon," she spoke in her usual calm yet emotionless voice.

"Then where were you born?"

Seira looked around, and Aki had found out a few months into them being partnered that her at first weird quirk was merely a defense mechanism, for Makima had eyes and ears everywhere, and Seira did not like to be preyed upon. She let out a quick sigh before speaking, "I was born and raised in the United States, I only moved here when I was 16 to study abroad."

"Then how did you get involved into Public Safety?" Aki would always be curious, and Seira didn't like that about him, for she knew what mischief curiosity birthed from its twisted womb.

"A few months before I turned 17 I was recruited as a special operative for a devil hunting agency, and there I worked in hunting devils until I was 20. I left for a year, but was quickly ensnared by Makima. I've worked for since then," Seira coldly told him.