Open Arms

"You can relax my friend." As Polites observed my growing apprehension, he nudged me gently, urging me to ease my tension.

"Huh?" I responded, momentarily distracted before refocusing on our surroundings.

"I can tell you're getting nervous, so do yourself a service. Try to relax my friend" Polites advised, his tone reassuring.

"I'm fine, Polites," I replied, though his words lingered in my mind.

He continued, his voice soft yet firm,  "Think of all that we have been through. We'll survive what we get into I know that you're tired of the war and bloodshed. Tell me, is this how we're supposed to live? Look at how you grip your sword, enough said. Why should we take when we could give? You could show a person that you trust them." 

I looked back again at Cassia before Polites continued, his smile encouraging.. "When you stop and lower your guard. Here we have a chance for some adjustment. Give it a try, it's not that hard; I'm telling you. This life is amazing when you greet it with open arms Whatever we face, we'll be fine if we're leading from the heart. No matter the place, we can light up the world. Here's how to start.Greet the world with open arms."

I glanced over at Cassia, who observed the island with wide-eyed curiosity, untouched by the weight of our burdens.

Suddenly, a figure emerged, startling us into defensive postures. My hand instinctively went for my sword, shielding Cassia behind me.

"Stay back!" I warned, my senses alert.

The figure echoed my words, mimicking our cautious stance.

Polites intervened, his demeanor calm. "We  are here for food," he explained, attempting to diffuse the tension.

"Food," they repeated, offering provisions.

"Six hundred friends are waiting for us to show our faces" I said, they stepped forward. "Stay back, I'm warning you. If we don't get back safely, my men will turn this place into blazes." 

 "Here you go." They said. 

 "See? This life is amazing when you greet it with open arms. Whatever we face, we'll be fine if we're leading from the heart. No matter the place, we can light up the world. Here's how to start; Greet the world with open arms" I looked around to see the fruit had glowing seeds. I frowned. 

 Yet, my suspicions grew as I examined the peculiar fruit, its glow disconcerting. "My friend, I wish that I could say that I agree. But look at the way this fruit is glowing. And filled with glowing seeds. It took me a while to notice just what kind of fruit they eat. It's a lotus, it controls your mind and never lets you free. That's what we'd get with open arms" I grabbed Cassia who was sitting on the ground with some of the Lotus Eaters and pulled her closer to me. 

 "Lotus eaters, I'd like to show my friend that kindness is brave. Could you tell me where there's other food to eat?" Polites asked. 

 "The cave" They said 

 "A cave!" Polites yelled out in excitement. "You're saying there's a cave where we could feast? And where do we sail to find this food-filled cave?" 

 "East, that way" They said pointing. 

 "Thank you!" Polites said. 

 "Welcome" They all said before disappearing. 

We turned around and walked back to the ship. "This life is amazing when you greet it with open arms. I see in your face, there is so much guilt inside your heart. So why not replace it and light up the world. Here's how to start, greet the world with open arms. Go talk to her." He said gesturing to Cassia. 

 "Are you sure? I killed her brother. . ." 

 "You can relax, my friend." I nodded and drifted back to talk to her. 

Our conversation unfolded, her innocence and gratitude stirring something within me. Despite the darkness that surrounded us, her presence offered a glimmer of hope and renewal.

In that moment, I understood Polites' wisdom – sometimes, embracing life with open arms was the only way to navigate the shadows. And with Cassia by our side, I dared to believe that light could pierce even the darkest of nights.