A Strange Negotiation

Start from the beginning

'I understand that would cause my son a lot of distress... is causing my son a lot of distress...'

I glanced at Severus who was sitting back in his chair, his fingers steepled in front of his stoic face. He quirked a questioning eyebrow at me briefly, suggesting he didn't know where this conversation was going either. We both returned to patiently watching Narcissa who was swirling her drink once more. Even Iola had stopped spinning her globe to listen.

'...I don't want to cause Draco anymore distress than he's gone through already. Perhaps it is a mother's pejorative. He is, after all, the most important person in my life, next to my husband. Yes, this is a conversation I need to have with him. And to answer your question, no, I'm not homophobic. It's not really something that I've encountered before, even though I knew of Sirius's and Remus Lupin's affair. A different generation, you see, people kept such things behind closed doors. Fear of persecution, as you succinctly talked about earlier... Your speech was very interesting on the matter, not just the narrow-minded views of the old Pureblood families, but about the philosophy of life in a wider sense. It's easy, isn't it, to focus on differences, make something of it, demean someone for that difference rather than look beyond it and see the person, see the individual, see the important things. It's incredibly egocentric if one thinks about it. I know I have been guilty of that in the past, I barely need to bring up our meeting in Madame Malkins some years ago when I was so rude to Ms Granger. Quite embarrassing behaviour on my part... I wonder if you have given far more tonight than you realise. I hope so, if people listen and try to understand, your words could have a far-reaching effect. They have with me for although I had already turned away from those thoughts when I saw the brutal reality... your words have fastened the acknowledgement that more change is still necessary.'

I smiled, 'if I've reached one person, then I've achieved something.'

'Perhaps you should be a politician?'

'Fuck no!' I exclaimed, followed quickly by, 'excuse my language.'

She smiled and said, 'you're very unconventional, Harry.'

'I try my best.'

She smiled. 'It's rather refreshing.'

There was another long pause as she studied her glass. I assumed she was trying to find her way into a rather uncomfortable conversation.

'Do you love Draco?' she said suddenly, looking at me seriously.

I returned her gaze, wondering if it was fair to be having this conversation without Draco despite what I'd declared to him about an allegiance before we left for the Gala Dinner.

'Yes,' I said, because there was no other answer to that question. I knew that feeling had crept up on me over the past few months but I also knew it to be true. Like Draco, I had fallen in love despite not intending to, especially not with Draco. What's more, I knew I loved Draco with every fibre of my body.

'And there isn't to be a formal union between the House of Potter and the Weasleys?'

I tried not to wrinkle my nose and I saw Severus sneer.

'No,' I said. 'They are my adoptive family, no more. I won't be marrying Gin, as many have assumed... or any of their brothers, for that matter.'

'Do you understand why the Old Families make our marriage alignments?'

'Financial strength and political unions. Oligarchy.'

'Yes and no. A true allegiance is not about money. It's never about money and not necessarily about controlling our society. It is about projections of the future. How will the family name be furthered? What fortune, as in success, will it bring? Even a change in fortune. Certain alignments can change the whole course of a name. There will be many people approaching you, going forward, do you realise that? Those who want to show their allegiance to the side of light.'