A Disruption During Civilised Pregaming

Start from the beginning

'But you're not one of my House-Elves,' I said.

'No, Master Harry. Misty is one of Mr Kreacher's many grandchildren. Mr Kreacher is paying Misty very well for working tonight during the big party. Misty is feeling very grateful to be serving in the grand House of Potter and for the famous Master Harry.'

'But you're wearing my House-Elf uniform,' I repeated, ignoring the smiles I was receiving from the Malfoys.

'Yes, Master Harry is providing too much uniforms for Mr Kreacher, Mellie, and Nettie, so the extra help is wearing the uniform too as is most proper for representing the House of Potter.'

'The extra help?' I said weakly.

'Yes, Master Harry. Misty, Autumn, and Chestnut are helping tonight.'

'Oh. And Mr Kreacher is paying you all?'

'Yes, Master Harry. Out of the moneys that you is kindly gifting Mr Kreacher. Would Master Harry like a glass of his nice champagne?'

'Okay,' I said, giving up.

'Very good, Master Harry.' And they disappeared off amongst the legs of my guests.

'Hello, Harry,' said Narcissa with a gentle smile.

'Narcissa!' I said, remembering myself. 'You look absolutely stunning!' And I kissed the back of her hand.

'Quite the charmer,' said Lucius, shaking my hand.

'You look stunning too,' I said with a grin.

'Enough cheek, young man. And thank you for inviting us, I feel very humbled by your graciousness, again. By everyone's graciousness.'

'It's good,' I said and I meant it. 'It's all good. I'm glad you came.'

'I'm given to understand you have a portrait of Severus here. Is he amongst the others?' he asked.

My smile widened. 'No. There's only so much bickering I can take and there are some bridges that I don't think will ever be crossed, particularly the one between Severus and my dad. He's in my study, if you wish to see him.'

'Thank you, I might just go down in a bit, if you don't mind.'

'Not at all. You know where you're going?'

He nodded.

I turned to welcome Xenophilius, but he'd already wandered off with Luna and when I turned back, Lucius was saying to Narcissa, 'oh, there's your sister, shall we?' They left me facing Draco cautiously.

'Hello,' he said quietly.

'Hi.'

'Are you and Severus getting on then?' he asked.

'Yeah. Okay after the initial argument. Still a bit snarky at times but we're talking Severus and me...'

It was then that I noticed him glancing around the room as if searching for someone. When he looked back at me, he said nonchalantly, 'so, is Johan here somewhere?'

'No,' I said. 'It took a bit to get rid of him and an Obliviating Spell but he won't be coming back. Ever. It was all a bit of a nightmare really. He turned up uninvited and it turned out he'd been staking out Grimmauld Place in a horrific stalker kind of way, waiting for the house to be revealed. His timing was terrible. And unwelcome. I just happened to open the door when he was there and broke the Ward so he saw me. He just didn't get the hint that he wasn't welcome. Luckily, The Portraits staged an intervention. I'll have to show you the memory at some moment, it was quite painful in a glorious kind of way.'

'Oh,' he exhaled and I saw him relax. 'That's good... that he's not coming back... if you don't want him around, of course...'

'I don't. Our relationship ended eighteen months ago. He just didn't get the hint. I should of Obliviated him when we parted ways on the other side of the world but I didn't think it would matter because he didn't know who I was. I never expected him to follow me to London...' It was funny, I thought, how we gravitated closer together. So close that the conversation was clearly between the two of us to the exclusion of anyone standing close in my crowded Drawing Room. '...I saw you, you know, in the gardens. I was rushing out to join you. I wanted to talk about Dublin but I didn't know how to broach the subject by Owl.'