'But you must have an idea, Harry,' said Molly in that well-meaning way of hers.

'Not really,' I said, feeling defensive.

'Have you considered teaching?' said Lucius.

I hadn't, despite the bits and pieces I'd done while abroad. Somehow that felt different. And perhaps it was the wine but I think I must have sat up at that suggestion.

'I did like teaching Defence in the fifth year,' I said carefully.

'You were bloody ace, mate,' said Ron.

'Actually, you were. A real natural,' said George. 'I can't imagine many fifth years being accepted as teachers for sixth years, especially with Fred and me, but we learnt so much that year.'

'What do you mean?' asked Narcissa.

'Harry gave extra-curriculum classes in Defence after the Ministry tried to control Hogwarts—' George answered.

'Shall we move on from talking about that year?' I suggested, all too aware it had ended in Lucius's arrest and Draco being forced to take the Dark Mark. 'The less I think about Umbridge, the better.'

'I've been noticing, Harry,' said Lucius, 'how natural it is for you to deal with Dark Arts and Dark Creatures without a second thought. But you share your knowledge too, you have a way of explaining, even when you're teaching me about the bloody petrifying Kappa in the top-floor bathroom...' he smiled sheepishly and I grinned in return. 'It's a lesson I won't forget.'

'He really had you going superbly,' said Narcissa with a wicked grin.

People were looking quizzically between us so Narcissa explained how her Grandfather liked to collect items from his travels to the Orient, including this horrific taxidermy piece of the Kappa that he'd always kept in the ghastly top-floor bathroom. And Dromeda was laughing about the Kappa and telling us all how frightened of it they'd all been as children when they had to stay and had to use the bathroom at night. Then Narcissa explained how I'd persuaded Lucius that we shouldn't go in that particular bathroom because this flesh-eating creature was living in the bath and making its way through a ton of cucumbers a day.

People had a good giggle at Lucius's expense.

'Yes, yes,' mumbled Lucius good-humouredly, 'bested by Harry bloody Potter again. I tell you, you all need to watch him. He's very good at spinning a tall tale.'

There was visible delight that Lucius could laugh at himself and perhaps we were all beginning to see a better side to one another; an aspect that had been missing before the war. And as I watched Arthur top up Lucius's wine glass, I couldn't help thinking back to the beginning of second year when Arthur and Lucius had practically ended up in a fist fight in Flourish and Blotts. It all seemed a world away and slightly surreal and pathetic now.

'You should have seen Harry earlier,' Draco said. 'He and Dusty had Bubble-head Charms over them and had their bums in the air and their heads submerged in the ornamental pond. He was teaching Dusty about Grindylows like it was the most natural thing in the world to do.'

'And we all had a lesson in dealing with garden gnomes,' said Lavender. 'It was incredible fun and Harry taught us a new spell at the same time. One he'd learnt in Australia.'

Minerva was watching me closely. 'You do realise I still have an opening for a Professor of Defence Against the Dark Arts again.'

I must have blanched. I certainly felt sick at the thought. 'I haven't even got any bloody qualifications,' I said.

'Apart from defeating the most powerful wizard our world has seen,' said Pomona Sprout.

'That's a fairly major tick in the right box,' said Lucius.

'It doesn't mean I can teach a syllabus I didn't even sodding complete myself.'

Draco flexed his fingers against my thigh and I took a deep breath, knowing trouble was brewing. Especially when Draco leant closer and whispered in my ear, 'you do realise that my father is a Governor at the School again? He will know Minerva's looking for a Defence teacher.'

'I wondered why it felt like he was interviewing me earlier today,' I whispered back.

Minerva frowned. 'You could, potentially, sit your N.E.W.T. next week. The year sevens have already completed their papers but I'm sure I can arrange it. We normally have a contingency for those who can't sit in June for one reason or another. It wouldn't be the first time. I could organise it with the Department of Magical Education. Despite the short notice, I'm sure they'd oblige, for you.'

'I haven't studied for over four years. I haven't sat a damned exam since my O.W.L.s. And I certainly haven't looked at the N.E.W.T. topics since I left school.' I could tell my voice was unnaturally high.

'The syllabus,' said Minerva, suspiciously rooting around in her bag and pulling out a sheaf of papers.

'That you just happen to have on you,' I said with narrowed eyes.

Draco squeezed my leg again and leant close to whisper, 'give them a chance...'

Minerva said, 'I've been in London this week, discussing course structures for next year. When Pomona told me about Neville's plan for your garden, I decided to stay on a couple of extra days,' she said with a small nod. Admittedly, there were a lot of scrawlings over the papers and crossing outs and additions. 'We've been talking about modifying the current N.E.W.T. in Defence and introducing a specialist N.E.W.T. in Curse Breaking. I need someone to teach both. But that's a conversation for another time.'

'I bet Harry knows everything about everything when it comes to Defence Against the Dark Arts and Dark Creatures on that list,' said Bill with a grin. 'He could probably teach us all a thing or two beyond the texts books.'

'Don't overdo it, Bill,' I frowned.

***