Chapter Thirty-Six: Why Should I Believe You?

WARNING: REFERENCES TO PAST CHARACTER DEATH AND SEXUAL ASSAULT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun's warm rays shined down on a field of healthy grass, flowers of an assortment of colors doting the green canvas. Sitting underneath a tree was a blonde man, dressed in casual clothes, or rather, casual in his opinion. A book was held in his hands and his hat was nestled in the grass next to him. A serene smile had found its way onto his face as his green eyes took in the story that the book had to tell and the warm, summer day filled his body with a sense of peace.

The moment was eventually interrupted when a pair of arms wrapped around him in a warm embrace. A cheerful voice soon followed, "hey, Rufus! What're you up to?"

Rufus turned his head to see Yukino smiling at him, her dark eyes sparkling and pale blue hair reflecting the sunrays beautifully. He smiled back at her and answered, "just enjoying this lovely day with a book. I can't recall the last time I was able to do this."

Yukino sat on the ground next to him, leaning against the large tree behind them. "Guess what I did."

Rufus looked away from his book, which he had just closed to move to the spot right beside his hat, and at his friend. He raised an eyebrow that was mostly hidden by his mask. He didn't miss the mischievous glint in her eyes. Sting was really rubbing off on her, huh?

Rufus felt suspicion stir in his gut and his eyes narrowed accordingly. "What?"

Yukino's grin widened even more and Rufus knew that she was up to something, and it was definitely going to involve him in some way. Yukino clasped her hands together and announced happily, "I invited Lucy to come here tomorrow! She plans to stay the whole day!"

Rufus froze at that reveal, his brain stuttering to a stop. At the thought of the blonde celestial wizard whom he had been infatuated with for a while, his face burned with a red blush and his stomach flipped. His mouth opened and closed like a fish before finally remaining open.

While Yukino laughed at his response and Rufus remained frozen with a mind that was blank except for the image of Lucy with a radiant smile on her face, a new voice joined them. "Close your mouth, Rufus. You look traumatized."

The pair looked over to see Sorano approaching them, a teasing smile on her usually blank face. She sat down in the spot in front of her sister and friend before she reached over and pushed Rufus' chin up to close his mouth. She then spoke again, "so, are you gonna tell her that you love her finally?"

Before Rufus could even think of an answer, Yukino clapped her hands a few times as she cheered, "can my sister and I help you?"

At that, Rufus finally found his tongue. "No, no! That wouldn't be necessary!" He sighed and answered more calmly, "look, I do not need assistance with my love life, nor do I plan to confess my affections for Lucy to her. I would rather work up to that by beginning with an excellent friendship."

Yukino leaned closer to him. "But, Rufus-"

"That's fine, Rufus," Sorano cut off the beginning of Yukino's whine, "but, if you decide that you do want help, then you know who to come to." She gave Rufus a wink and teasing smile, causing Rufus' blush to renew.

Green eyes snapped open and glanced around frantically, confused as to where their owner was. Rufus' racing heart and heavy breathing calmed as memories of where he was and how he had gotten there quickly flowed through his mind. He heaved a sigh and stared down at the dirty floor.