You notice how she avoids eye contact and slightly tightens her grip on her drink. Is she jealous?.. You ask yourself. That would explain her odd behavior around you.

"Not really. I ran into him the first day I moved here and he's my neighbor, so I guess—"

"Wait! You guys are neighbors?" She slammed her drink down in surprise and you slightly jumped, startled by her random outburst.

"Yea? He lives in the apartment complex next to my grandma's house."

She hums and brings her drink back up to her lips, continuing to avoid eye contact. Shit, are they together? Does she think I'm trying to get in between them?.. You begin to slightly panic. You didn't want to start any drama, you had barely been at this school for a week! Miyamura never mentioned anything about being in a relationship, at least nothing you can remember, and you never saw him acting lovey dovey with Hori.

"I'm sorry, are you and Miyamura in a relationship?" You ask timidly.

"What? No.. why are you asking?" She eyed you suspiciously.

"Ah, I just didn't want you to think I was trying to take him from you. We only seem close because he was the first person I talked to, so I guess I just feel closer to him because of that."

"Ah, I see."

After that conversation the air seemed a little lighter. Hori no longer seemed as tense as she was before, but instead lost in thought. The two of you sat in a calm silence until the bell rang.

—————

Hori stared at the sky while leaning on the balcony railing outside the classroom. Her thoughts take her back earlier to the conversation she had with you. Although you told her you didn't know Miyamura that well, she felt there was something going on between the two of you, whether or not you were aware of it. She had questions, but she wasn't sure you were the right person to ask. The door opened behind her, but she didn't turn to look, already knowing who joined her outside.

"Are you feeling okay Hori?" Miyamura asked, walking up beside her.

He had noticed she seemed lost in thought all day, something had to be bugging her. He knew about her busy life outside of school, but normally she wouldn't be this out of it.

"Do you like (Y/n)?"

Miyamura nearly choked on his spit at the sudden question, quickly turning to look at Hori. "Where did this come from?"

"I just feel like.. there's something going on between the two of you."

"Nothing is going on between us. It's just that.. they're someone that I used to know, someone I cared a lot for."

Hori turns to look at him, slightly surprised. Although she suspected it she never thought he'd say it out loud. Hearing it made it feel real, like there was really a chance she'd lose him.

"It's a long story, but.. when I was little, (Y/n) was the first person to walk up to me and become my friend. Then one day they told me their family was moving, but they made a promise to find me again. I doubt they remember me or the promise, but the fact they came back.. it feels nice."

The look on Miyamura's face was something she rarely saw. He seemed genuinely happy, hopeful even. The only time she saw him this happy was when they were together, alone. Now he has the exact same expression while talking about you and you're not even here.

Hori turned away. "Why don't you tell them?" She doesn't know why she asked. Maybe she was curious, or maybe she still had hope he was moving on from you.