Chapter 2 - Secrets

August 22nd - 5:57 PM

       With us all trapped here and the plan for us councilors to enjoy one last party before our departure home, we all split up to complete our own tasks in preparation.

When we got to Mr Hackett's office, Dylan held the door open for us as we stepped into the room. He walked in behind me and closed the door before looking around.
"Alright! The inner sanctum."

I looked back at him and nodded. "Yeah, it's a nice office I guess."

He turned his wandering gaze down to me. "This, little Zoey, is where the magic happens."

I smiled and looked around. "Uh huh
..well, We should hurry so we can get back to the others.

Dylan nodded and kneeled down in front of a small table against the wall next to the entrance.
"Sure, just let me just get this going."

He found two chargers already in the outlet and plugged in his phone before looking at me. "Want to charge yours too?"

I took out my phone and checked the battery before nodding. "Yeah, thanks."

I gave my phone to him and watched as he plugged it in.
"And..engaged."
H

e got up and stood in front of me to attempt a conversation while we waited.

"So..You were drawing something earlier right?"

"Huh?..Oh! Yeah! I was just trying to pass the time."

Dylan nodded quietly for a moment before speaking again.
"

You have your own webcomic  thing don't you? Were you working on that?"

I was a little surprised that he remembered my hobby. I'd been co-writing and drawing for a webtoon account I shared with a friend back home since middle school. Id told the group about it over the summer when talking about our futures but hadnt expected anyone to actually remember.
"Uh, yeah actually."

"Cool..what's the one your working on now about?"

"Oh, just horror stuff.."

The tall man gave me a curious look. "Like monsters and stuff?"

"Uh yeah. It's actually about a bunch of young adults reuniting in a cabin on the anniversary of their friend's death. They end up getting stuck on the snowy mountain in the middle of nowhere and are attacked by monsters called windagos."

"Really? Sounds cool but I didn't know you were interested in that kind of stuff. You seemed a little..scared of Ryan's stories."

I felt a little embarrassed at the confirmation that he knew I was bothered by the councilor's campfire stories.
"

You could tell?"

"Yeah- well you always seemed nervous about coming out at night or being separated from the group during meetups. Plus, you can be pretty jumpy."