Wednesday still forced herself to watch as they fell into a messy kiss, the lyrics fading out as they happily enjoyed each other’s company. They were done in a few mere seconds and Wednesday’s expression didn’t change, but now she had the attention of her mother. Yet another piece of torture that she was starting to get a little tired of.

“Darling, how long do you intend on giving us the cold shoulder?” her mother asked, a pout upon her lips as she eyed her daughter.

Wednesday lifted herself higher in her chair, turning to speak over her shoulder. “Lurch, please remind my parents that I’m no longer speaking to them.”

Lurch did so in a short and meaningful grunt, going back to his driving.

Her mother hummed in recognition while her father leaned forward, being the more expressive out of the two. “I promise you, my little viper, you will love Nevermore. Won’t she, Tish?”

“Of course,” her mother assured. “It’s the perfect school for her.”

“Why?” Wednesday demanded, breaking her two month silence she had given to her parents. She believed she had proved herself serious enough by now. “Because it was the perfect school for you? I have no interest in following in your footsteps. Becoming captain of the fencing team, Queen of the Dark Prom, President of the Séance Society.”

“I merely meant that finally you will be among peers who understand you,” her mother explained with a smile, staring into the lifeless eyes of Wednesday. “Maybe you’ll even make some friends.”

Wednesday didn’t even dignify that with a reaction.

“Nevermore is like no other boarding school,” her father continued the spiel. He turned his head towards her mother, his eyes filled with adoration. “It’s a magical place. It’s where I met your mother. And we fell in love.” He let out a yearning sigh as they stared into each other’s eyes. Wednesday felt her stomach flip uncomfortably.

“You guys are making me nauseous,” Wednesday said, her hands clasped tightly over her knees. “Not in a good way.”

“Darling, we aren’t the ones who got you expelled,” her mother scolded lightly. “That boy’s family was going to file attempted murder charges. How would that have looked on your record?”

“Terrible,” Wednesday sighed, her expression distant as she thought of the dreadful possibility of those consequences. “Everyone would know I failed to get the job done.”

Her mother seemed to think on it a moment before humming in slight agreement.

The hearse carried along in deathly silence, passing through the looming gates of the boarding school. Nevermore Academy swirled amongst the curling, metal sign above stone pillars, alerting Wednesday that her existence was only going to get more miserable. The countryside had turned away from the autumn leaves to jagged branches, few and far between, sticking to the sides of a winding, possibly fatal, road towards the school building.

Her mother let out a sigh of relief, leaning her neck to peer through the window. “At least it’s turning into a beautiful day.”

Thunder rolled in as rain pattered against the windows, lightning flashing against Wednesday’s face, making her appear more frightfully pale than usual. She had hoped that would be the case, it would make a better first impression on her new classmates.

 She had hoped that would be the case, it would make a better first impression on her new classmates